Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to close my J. Crew card - 20k limit

tag
someg33k
Established Contributor

Time to close my J. Crew card - 20k limit

Another Comenity card of mine went on the chopping block today. Almost kept it for silly nostalgic reasons as it was my second rebuilder card. But being that I could not see ever using it again, had to say goodbye.

The card grew nicely from a $250 limit to 20K, at which point I stopped asking for any further CLIs.

All captive store cards are slated for the dumpster, with the exception of ones that offer zero percent financing.

Feels good to be in the position of dumping cards I no longer need, vs a couple years ago when any approval seemed like a small miracle.  The bonus here is dumping yet another Comenity card.

That sock drawer is finally starting to look a lot less crowded Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time to close my J. Crew card - 20k limit

I've learned something, both through these boards, and through my own research, that credit cards are really another form of debt payment. Whereas a debit card is a form of cash payment. When you look at it that way, your perspective starts to change when it comes to how you use credit cards. Store cards are the LAST thing I want to go into debt for. I have canceled one store card already and will close two more soon. Keeping Discover and Chase around and using those for debt payments, and my debit for cash payments.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats op

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've learned something, both through these boards, and through my own research, that credit cards are really another form of debt payment. Whereas a debit card is a form of cash payment. When you look at it that way, your perspective starts to change when it comes to how you use credit cards. Store cards are the LAST thing I want to go into debt for. I have canceled one store card already and will close two more soon. Keeping Discover and Chase around and using those for debt payments, and my debit for cash payments.

I look at credit cards as just another payment option. Same as debit (which almost never gets used). My big change is when I started tracking everything in YNAB. Now if I make a $100 purchase that's $100 off my net in YNAB that's staring me in the face.

Message 4 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats! on the trim job and managing your profile to best fit in your favor.

I dunno, i must admit that i harbor some reservations with my own JCrew card with a nice limit now that grew well, but in all honesty a big big sticking point for me with Comenity Cards is their reporting practices.

They need to report REGULARLY and monthly like every other lender does, if nothing else, as a standard operating procedure but instead they continue to fall woefully short in that respect.

On many of their cards they wait for a balance to run over before reporting and that ongoing practice gnaws at me to no end and in fact forces my hand to SD their cards they do that on in spite of it. Which in turn drives a desire to close those cards eventually and place my spend on cards that do report as expected and is normal practice with most every other lender.

Message 5 of 10
someg33k
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I dunno, i must admit that i harbor some reservations with my own JCrew card with a nice limit now that grew well, but in all honesty a big big sticking point for me with Comenity Cards is their reporting practices.

They need to report REGULARLY and monthly like every other lender does, if nothing else, as a standard operating procedure but instead they continue to fall woefully short in that respect.

On many of their cards they wait for a balance to run over before reporting and that ongoing practice gnaws at me to no end and in fact forces my hand to SD their cards they do that on in spite of it. Which in turn drives a desire to close those cards eventually and place my spend on cards that do report as expected and is normal practice with most every other lender.

Agreed!

I have had no personal real bad experience with Comenity. They approved me for cards during rebuilding years and I am grateful. But for reasons you stated above, and that I now have much better cards, Just do not use them much anymore except the couple that offer zero interest on larger purchases. When its all said and done.. the only cards I am keeping from them is Marathon VISA, Total Rewards VISA. MAYBE my Overstock card since it offers zero interest. On the fence with the Overstock card since literally half of my orders (only 6) have been screwed up. Shipped the wrong items and of course they were gifts being drop shipped directly. :/ 

The last time they messed up the order ,they gave me a year free membership to their O club or whatever its called and a $25.00 bonus credit. But it was such a PITA I would much rather of had the order shipped correctly and not have the perks that came from the screw up.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I look at credit cards as just another payment option. Same as debit (which almost never gets used). My big change is when I started tracking everything in YNAB. Now if I make a $100 purchase that's $100 off my net in YNAB that's staring me in the face.

I think you're conflating several different issues, Jon.

Message 7 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@someg33k wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Agreed!

I have had no personal real bad experience with Comenity. They approved me for cards during rebuilding years and I am grateful. But for reasons you stated above, and that I now have much better cards, Just do not use them much anymore except the couple that offer zero interest on larger purchases. When its all said and done.. the only cards I am keeping from them is Marathon VISA, Total Rewards VISA. MAYBE my Overstock card since it offers zero interest. On the fence with the Overstock card since literally half of my orders (only 6) have been screwed up. Shipped the wrong items and of course they were gifts being drop shipped directly. :/ 

The last time they messed up the order ,they gave me a year free membership to their O club or whatever its called and a $25.00 bonus credit. But it was such a PITA I would much rather of had the order shipped correctly and not have the perks that came from the screw up.

Same here!

It took long enough on this end (over 1 year) to finally get approved for Marathon VISA-Total Reward VISA -True Value DISCOVER and am really pleased like i knew that i would be with those accounts.

I did close Overstock because Ebates VISA has that retailer well covered with cash back bonus.

But...... Comenity? If you read this, please SIT UP, TAKE NOTICE and be advised.

It is in your favor (PROFITS!) to REGULARLY REPORT (Every Month ) even with a zero balance (As All Other Lenders) in order to prevent cardholders losing confidence to the point some of your cards get SD'd in spite of not reporting. In turn SD cards are often times prime candidates for holders to eventually close and SPEND with your competitors who DO report normally every month as expected. It's also best for business.

Think they are listening/reading? I know they're in here someplace Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
someg33k
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Agreed!

Same here!

It took long enough on this end (over 1 year) to finally get approved for Marathon VISA-Total Reward VISA -True Value DISCOVER and am really pleased like i knew that i would be with those accounts.

I did close Overstock because Ebates VISA has that retailer well covered with cash back bonus.

But...... Comenity? If you read this, please SIT UP, TAKE NOTICE and be advised.

It is in your favor (PROFITS!) to REGULARLY REPORT (Every Month ) even with a zero balance (As All Other Lenders) in order to prevent cardholders losing confidence to the point some of your cards get SD'd in spite of not reporting. In turn SD cards are often times prime candidates for holders to eventually close and SPEND with your competitors who DO report normally every month as expected. It's also best for business.

Good point on the Ebates card with Overstock. I have Ebates as well and had not even thought about using it on Overstock yet due to the Zero inerest with Overstock card. But for smaller purchased I'll have to start using it.

Message 9 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@someg33k wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Agreed!

Same here!

Good point on the Ebates card with Overstock. I have Ebates as well and had not even thought about using it on Overstock yet due to the Zero inerest with Overstock card. But for smaller purchased I'll have to start using it.

Well Ebates VISA saves the day in more ways then one.

You eliminate the yearly AF (O-Rewards too) required with Overstock and in my case eliminated the horrible (and highest of any cards) APR of 26.99% and that was before the Fed Rate Hike!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.