cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to hit the garden...

Valued Contributor

Time to hit the garden...

...till May 2013 at the earliest.

 

That's right, the only apps I will do from here on out will be:

-11/12 student loan

-12/13 student loan

-BofA CLI request to go $3,500 to $5,000 (then I'll be satisfied)

 

So now my two primary cards (in wallet and for all transactions) will be

BofA Cash Rewards ($3,500, 10.99%)

Amex Zync (NPSL, NA)

 

Citi Dividend World will be my primary backup ($6,000, 14.24%)

 

I want to axe at least one card from my lesser crowd:

Discover More ($1,500, 15.99%)

Chase Freedom ($3,000, 22.9%)

Amazon Store ($1,200, 25.9%)

 

Thoughts?

 

I will not apply for anything but student loans from here on out!  (And that one CLI increase request, probably in the fall).

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time to hit the garden...


smc733 wrote:

...till May 2013 at the earliest.

 

That's right, the only apps I will do from here on out will be:

-11/12 student loan

-12/13 student loan

-BofA CLI request to go $3,500 to $5,000 (then I'll be satisfied)

 

So now my two primary cards (in wallet and for all transactions) will be

BofA Cash Rewards ($3,500, 10.99%)

Amex Zync (NPSL, NA)

 

Citi Dividend World will be my primary backup ($6,000, 14.24%)

 

I want to axe at least one card from my lesser crowd:

Discover More ($1,500, 15.99%)

Chase Freedom ($3,000, 22.9%)

Amazon Store ($1,200, 25.9%)

 

Thoughts?

 

I will not apply for anything but student loans from here on out!  (And that one CLI increase request, probably in the fall).


Oh, yes.  Hanging out in the garden is great!  So peaceful here!!!  (I stepped out of the garden for a fresh car loan, but am hanging out again on my garden bench).

Are there any AF's on your ax list? 

Any benefits that are useful to you?

 

Why are you wanting to close one? 

At first glance, my vote would be the Amazon Store card, as it seems more limited in use and high in APR.  But I'm not familiar with the card, and am not sure if it has rewards which may be useful -  or an AF.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Message 2 of 17
Established Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...


beamMEup wrote:

smc733 wrote:

...till May 2013 at the earliest.

 

That's right, the only apps I will do from here on out will be:

-11/12 student loan

-12/13 student loan

-BofA CLI request to go $3,500 to $5,000 (then I'll be satisfied)

 

So now my two primary cards (in wallet and for all transactions) will be

BofA Cash Rewards ($3,500, 10.99%)

Amex Zync (NPSL, NA)

 

Citi Dividend World will be my primary backup ($6,000, 14.24%)

 

I want to axe at least one card from my lesser crowd:

Discover More ($1,500, 15.99%)

Chase Freedom ($3,000, 22.9%)

Amazon Store ($1,200, 25.9%)

 

Thoughts?

 

I will not apply for anything but student loans from here on out!  (And that one CLI increase request, probably in the fall).


Oh, yes.  Hanging out in the garden is great!  So peaceful here!!!  (I stepped out of the garden for a fresh car loan, but am hanging out again on my garden bench).

Are there any AF's on your ax list? 

Any benefits that are useful to you?

 

Why are you wanting to close one? 

At first glance, my vote would be the Amazon Store card, as it seems more limited in use and high in APR.  But I'm not familiar with the card, and am not sure if it has rewards which may be useful -  or an AF.


Also agree with geting rid of the Amazon Store card. I think the discover/chase combo give you more flexibility as to where you shop.

FICO: EX: 763 (12/16); TU: 786 (12/16); EQ 731 (12/16)
Amex Blue Cash Preferred | Amex SimplyCash Plus | Chase Amazon Prime VS | Chase Freedom VS | Discover IT | Penfed Power Cash Rewards VS | Sams Club MC | USAA Limitless Rewards PV
Message 3 of 17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...

Why do you have to do multiple apps for student loans?

 

Is that common?


Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...

+1 -  Amazon Store card... Keep the others open and rotate from time to time!

 

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 17
Established Member

Re: Time to hit the garden...

I bet the flowers smell really nice! Smiley Tongue

I'll find my way to the garden someday!

 

Mark


Starting Score: EQ 624 TU 605
Current Score: EQ 642 TU unknown
Goal Score: 700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 17
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time to hit the garden...

Congratulations, smc733!

 

Your application to the Garden Club has been approved. You may collect your complimentary gardening gloves and watering can at the clubhouse door. We look forward to seeing you at our meetings!

 

(And this approval didn't cost you a hard pull! Smiley Wink )


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 17
Regular Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...


drsmith wrote:

Why do you have to do multiple apps for student loans?

 

Is that common?


I had to do a new loan each year.  I still have four "lines" that I'm paying (to the same company).  Even though I send ONE payment to the very same place (they disburse it)

BK to fall off 2/12 - DONE!
myFICO (6-14-11): EX ?, EQ 684, TU 713
FICO (5-17-12): EX: 731
CreditSecure FAKOs (6-14-11): EX 745, EQ 661, TU 654
CreditSecure FAKOs (5-17-12): EX 732, EQ 671, TU 697
Goal: 760 across the board
Message 8 of 17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...

I have like 8 federal loans but I don't take an inq for any of them


Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Time to hit the garden...

So I have the federal loans, but I also have to take private loans too (private uni), once per year...

 

Anyway...  I'm going to take out more than I need this year, and put the difference toward one loan I have through MEFA which has a ridiculous 8.89% rate (PNC gives me ~4.1-5.1).

 

So the Amazon Store card it is.  I thought when I got it, that I'd use the 6 mo financing for things like books, but I have plenty in savings, and I'd rather pay that back, I never actually use the card, plus it has no rewards, and GEMB is sucky in comparison to an otherwise prime group of lenders I have.

 

I'm also dumping 3 of my 4 AU accounts w/balances, since I now have the portfolio I want, and the balances can only hurt things, since they appear high compared to a college income, and the age is suspicious.

 

I will dump

Amex Charge, 1981 (avg bal of $900)

Amex Charge, 2000 (avg bal of $200)

Chase, 2009 (avg bal $2k+)

Discover, 2002 (avg bal almost always 0)

 

 

So this leaves my revolving profile with this:

BofA 3,500 (6/10)

Citi 6,000(6/10)

Discover 1,500 (1/11)

Chase 3,000 (4/11)

Amex (6/11)

 

Closed:

Banana Republic (4/10)

BofA Secured (4/10)

HSBC/BestBuy (1/11)

Chase (2/11)

Amazon (2/11)

 

Sounds good?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 10 of 17