cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing a CLI request by anticipating date of most recent Amex SP?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

Timing a CLI request by anticipating date of most recent Amex SP?

Is this possible? I've read here that Amex soft-pulls regularly and uses their most recent on file at any given time when considering CLIs.

I have the BCE card (opened 3/11) and an Amex Personal Savings account (opened 4/2). Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how regularly, and on what dates, Amex soft-pulls snapshots of my report so I can time my 3x CLI to maximize chances for approval. My 61st day is 5/11 but I'm aiming to CLI around 5/22 since I should be able to have balances paid down after I get paid on the 17th. But I can flex this date around as needed if it will increase my chances...

On my Experian report, under the "Requests Viewed Only By You" section (which I'm assuming is the 'soft pull' section?), there is a pull from "Amex Account Review" (pulled 4/13), and another from "American Express 2" (pulled 3/20). Any idea if either is the one periodically monitoring my BCE account? And if there's a demonstrated pattern I can anticipate? (Say, for instance, they take a snapshot on that same date every month.) Keep in mind the BCE account was opened 3/11 and the Savings on 4/2, so it's kinda weird to correlate because the dates are staggered.

Hope this makes sense. Further below in the same section, and only slightly less recent, is another Amex soft-pull just titled "Amex." But it has several dates that precede either account and seem to demonstrate a somewhat drunken regularity (pulled 8/28, 9/20, 11/20, 11/26, 2/1, 2/15). Is that related to what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help or explanation anyone can provide.

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Re: Timing a CLI request by anticipating date of most recent Amex SP?

@primechicken wrote:

Is this possible? I've read here that Amex soft-pulls regularly and uses their most recent on file at any given time when considering CLIs.

I have the BCE card (opened 3/11) and an Amex Personal Savings account (opened 4/2). Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how regularly, and on what dates, Amex soft-pulls snapshots of my report so I can time my 3x CLI to maximize chances for approval. My 61st day is 5/11 but I'm aiming to CLI around 5/22 since I should be able to have balances paid down after I get paid on the 17th. But I can flex this date around as needed if it will increase my chances...

On my Experian report, under the "Requests Viewed Only By You" section (which I'm assuming is the 'soft pull' section?), there is a pull from "Amex Account Review" (pulled 4/13), and another from "American Express 2" (pulled 3/20). Any idea if either is the one periodically monitoring my BCE account? And if there's a demonstrated pattern I can anticipate? (Say, for instance, they take a snapshot on that same date every month.) Keep in mind the BCE account was opened 3/11 and the Savings on 4/2, so it's kinda weird to correlate because the dates are staggered.

Hope this makes sense. Further below in the same section, and only slightly less recent, is another Amex soft-pull just titled "Amex." But it has several dates that precede either account and seem to demonstrate a somewhat drunken regularity (pulled 8/28, 9/20, 11/20, 11/26, 2/1, 2/15). Is that related to what I'm looking for?

That is my understanding as well.

@Erratic AMEX soft pulls are well known if you are rather a big spender or maybe even a medium spender. They want to know if you can pay your debt @ AMEX.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@primechicken wrote:

If I had to guess i'd say that one.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
primechicken
Contributor

By that one, I'm assuming you mean the last one mentioned. But why is Amex pulling my report before I even have an account with them or have applied for one?
Message 4 of 9
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Because whatever the reasons, they had access to your credit report. And, they might have been considering you for a pre-approval once whatever their criterias are met...good enough explanation?

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 5 of 9
primechicken
Contributor

Kinda. The most recent pull on that listing for "Amex" was on 2/15. I've opened two accounts with Amex since then. Why have they stopped pulling? Like I said, there are the other two listings. Maybe they are just named differently once an account is open with them.
Message 6 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think once I opened a Personal Savings, they began softing me prior to opening a BCE.

Some of my soft pulls are like two months apart, but alas I'm bot big spender. Maybe a 500-1000 each month on my BCE.

What I would do is go ahead and ask for the cli, of denied... You could ask them what it's based on and request them to pull a new soft pull...

In all honesty, I think they look for a stable score, not necessarily an improving one.
I got my 61 day 3xcli and my Exp was a few points lower than when approved- maybe 5 lol.

Good luck!

Oh and btw, be careful opening 3 -4 + cc accts with Amex. There have been reports of FR for such action
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 9
primechicken
Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yw! Hope it helps :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.