Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of Applying for a Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timing of Applying for a Credit Card

My FICO is right below 720 and I want to go for a 0% interest card.  I have one credit card with a $2,500 credit limit that I use monthly and which I have a high balance on (that I plan to pay, on time, in 2 weeks).  

How much a difference is it going to make to apply for a new card right after I pay off this monthly balance?  (i.e., does the FICO score get updated daily when they pull a credit report?)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timing of Applying for a Credit Card

No not daily, just when your creditors reports.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No not daily, just when your creditors reports.

...and is there a standard day of the month when that happens?

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Different which each creditor 

Could be a few days after statement cut 

Others a certain day of the month 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much a difference is it going to make to apply for a new card right after I pay off this monthly balance?

How much of a change would that make to individual and overall revolving utilization?

@Anonymous wrote:

i.e., does the FICO score get updated daily when they pull a credit report?

The scoring model considers whatever data is in the report when the score is generated.  Scores are generated on a constant basis.  They're generated when requested.  Don't conflate report and score.  They are not the same thing.  A report pull doesn't necessarily mean that a score was generated.  However, generation of a score requires report data.

Creditors typically report once a month.  While most report on statement date, not all do.  You should be aware of when your accounts report.  You can call your creditors to verify.  You can look at prior threads and your statements to see if your creditor reports on statement date or on a fixed day of the month.

Also keep in mind that when a creditor reports and when a CRA updates are not the same thing.  It typically takes a CRA several business days to update.  Until the creditor has done so, the updated balance will not be reflected on the report.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How much a difference is it going to make to apply for a new card right after I pay off this monthly balance?

How much of a change would that make to individual and overall revolving utilization?

Well, it would reduce utilization on that one card to below 30%.  Overall utilization would drop slightly ($1,000 out of $14,000 total debt)....

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

From what?  How big is the revolving utilization drop?  While that won't tell you the scoring impact it will give you a rough idea of what to expect.  Generally, bigger scoring improvements come from bigger reductions to revolving utilization.

Keep in mind that 30% is a generally suggested max.  It is far from ideal.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.