Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of Balance Reporting

tag
flapjack
Established Member

Timing of Balance Reporting

Hi All,

I recently took out a cash advance on my Investex Mastercard (a local CU) for the full limit of my available credit. A couple of days later before I even had a chance to get a bill, I got a warning from my CMS saying I had a card over limit and sure enough, they had reported by balance plus a couple of days interest. I understand advances begin accruing interest immediately but shoudn't I ordinarily be afforded the opportunity to make a payment before the interest is applied to my balance ? How will this hurt my credit ?

Thanks,

Flapjack

EX: 785 EQ: 759 TU: 760 (9/14 via MyFico)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Timing of Balance Reporting

@flapjack wrote:

Hi All,

I recently took out a cash advance on my Investex Mastercard (a local CU) for the full limit of my available credit. A couple of days later before I even had a chance to get a bill, I got a warning from my CMS saying I had a card over limit and sure enough, they had reported by balance plus a couple of days interest. I understand advances begin accruing interest immediately but shoudn't I ordinarily be afforded the opportunity to make a payment before the interest is applied to my balance ? How will this hurt my credit ?

Thanks,

Flapjack

for cash advances, the interest is applied to your balance immediately on a daily basis. it may just reflect as a lump sum payment at the end of each cycle rather than to show a daily interest charge on your statement.

having an overlimit card can hurt your credit scores since your utilization is now very high, but once you pay it off / down, your scores will recover, since FICO only cares about your current utilization.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.