Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of Chase CLI

tag
damierFICO
Valued Member

Timing of Chase CLI

All 3 of my credit cards (Freedom, BofA, and Amex Blue Case Preferred) were started about January. AAoA is higher than expected as I was AU on my moms card from like 2005. Amex started at 2,000 then 61 day CLI to 6,000, then auto CLI to 8,500 in Sep/Oct. Bofa started at 1,500 then HP to 5,000 at about July. Freedom started at 1,000 then auto CLI to 2,000 in about May, then auto CLI to 4,000 on November 23.

I was about to initiate HP on freedom when I found out about the 2nd auto CLI today. Idk if I was lucky or they saw that my bday is Nov 24th and that had something to do with it =). Before I knew about this 2nd HP i was going to request from the 2,000 limit to 8,000 (I've seen on past threads that on recon Chase may counter and will typically give you somewhere close to your highest limit. Now that my limit is 4,000 I think its pretty reasonable that I will get the 8,000. However my question is:

Since I am about to do the 3x CLI for Amex from 8,500 to 25,500, should I hold off on Chase CLI until after this Amex CLI reflects on my credit reports? The rationale is that I might get an even bigger CLI from Chase (like in the 5 digit range). I understand that Chase limits exposure and my best bet would be to open a new card like CSP and tranfer limits but at this time I do not want to open any new accounts. Additional factors to consider is my income when applying for Freedom was 40,000, currently is 75,000 (new job) and currentr score is experian 729 and equifax 759.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timing of Chase CLI

AFAIK you get the initial 3x CLI with Amex only the first time on new cards. You can't just triple your Amex LOC every couple of months... Additional increases will not be allowed within 6 months of the last one I think.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
AFAIK you get the initial 3x CLI with Amex only the first time on new cards. You can't just triple your Amex LOC every couple of months... Additional increases will not be allowed within 6 months of the last one I think.

Not Necessarily: Check out the guide that's been moved to the App section. It confirms you can request 3X CLI 6 months after original CLI. More details below.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

OP, I don't have that much experience with Chase, But with that income and those scores, I think you're good to go. Good Luck.

Message 3 of 9
damierFICO
Valued Member

on mobile so please excuse typos. The initial credit limit increase I got from American Express was at the 61 day mark from 2000 to 6000, the one I got to 8500 was an auto cli initiated by amex. I haven't done the next increase as outlined in the amex 3x cli thread yet. from what I understand, an auto CLI does not reset the waiting period right?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, according to messages in the Amex 3X CLI guide. Its 180 days since your last request. Nothing is reset when receiving auto-love.

Message 5 of 9
damierFICO
Valued Member

Would u do the HP chase cli now and request from 4,000 to 8,500 in order to match my highest limit (amex) card? Or would u first do the amex 3x after 180 days then the chase HP cli after the new limit reports in hopes of a higher Chase increase (ex. Requesting a 5 digit limit from chase as oppose to $8,500)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm no expert when it comes to Chase. I applied with them when I still had a baddie reporting that has since been removed and am awaiting a CLI whenever it comes along. You just received some birhday love (also, happy belated birthday!) and you have another CLI request coming from AMEX with your new income, in all honesty I would go through AMEX first and let that report. If you feel it's really necessary then go through with either the HP CLI or opening a new account and transfer limits route.

It's very likely someone with more knowledge will chime in but that is my humble opinion.

Message 7 of 9
damierFICO
Valued Member

thanks for your input. I was debating opening up a new TL w/Chase ex. CSP. I defibnitely agree that opening a new line with them then transferring over limit would have a better outcome then just CLI with my existing account. Though very tempting I think I'm going to keep my TL at 3 for now, debating city prestige or nordstrom siggy after my 3 January-ish HP's fall off (i read a couple threards here that nordstrom is very inquiry sensitive to denials even if scores are high). my goal is to have these 3 cards at their highest limits possible to help with the algorithm for SL.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@damierFICO wrote:

thanks for your input. I was debating opening up a new TL w/Chase ex. CSP. I defibnitely agree that opening a new line with them then transferring over limit would have a better outcome then just CLI with my existing account. Though very tempting I think I'm going to keep my TL at 3 for now, debating city prestige or nordstrom siggy after my 3 January-ish HP's fall off (i read a couple threards here that nordstrom is very inquiry sensitive to denials even if scores are high). my goal is to have these 3 cards at their highest limits possible to help with the algorithm for SL.

Wait for Amex to increase and report before applying at Chase. With Chase, they like to see you have higher limits with other prime companies and have some experience with it before they take the plunge. Patience is key...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.