Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of app

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Timing of app

I spoke to cap 1 EO about a possible CLI /Af waiver on Friday and they are supposed to get back to me in three days and will only rely on a SP. I believe I am going to pull the trigger on the citi premier and I want to get it as soon as possible due to some charges I want to place on it. Should I go ahead and app now or should I wait for cap 1 to give me the answer first? Will they do a softpull because of my specific request or are they just using the last SP they took? How quickly will they be notified of the new inq?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timing of app

What attracts you to the Citi card in particular and for these particular charges? Do you have another card you can put these charges on, whether the Cap1 or another?

My gut feeling would be to wait the 3 days. Cap1 tends to pull Equifax/Experian but they've been known to pull all 3 before, so there's a very good chance they'll see your Citi inquiry. If I were Cap1 and saw that you had just taken out another card and were requesting a CLI, to me it would look a bit desperate for credit and thus as a bigger risk. But of course, if you get the Citi card AFTER the Cap1 is approved, Citi will never know about your CLI since Cap1 will do a soft pull ;-)

Message 2 of 4
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What attracts you to the Citi card in particular and for these particular charges? Do you have another card you can put these charges on, whether the Cap1 or another?

My gut feeling would be to wait the 3 days. Cap1 tends to pull Equifax/Experian but they've been known to pull all 3 before, so there's a very good chance they'll see your Citi inquiry. If I were Cap1 and saw that you had just taken out another card and were requesting a CLI, to me it would look a bit desperate for credit and thus as a bigger risk. But of course, if you get the Citi card AFTER the Cap1 is approved, Citi will never know about your CLI since Cap1 will do a soft pull ;-)

Cap 1 would soft me on all three bureaus? I have all these charges that would go towards meeting the initial spend on the citi card. Otherwise I will have to put a whole bunch of spend on another card and then end up diverting bonus spend to the citi card which will cost me points on other cards. I'm not sure one app five months after my other apps will make me look desperate for credit, but it could make cap 1 think that I am not serious about shifting spend to their card which could result in a denial of a CLI.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure they would SP you on all 3, but they can and have HPd on all 3 for new apps, so there is a chance they can to you as well.

One app five months after other apps may not make you appear desperate, but a bank reviewing your CLI request right as you apply for more credit at the same time can make you an elevated risk, since it implies that you are looking to increase your spending significantly.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.