Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing payments to reflect better util

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Timing payments to reflect better util

You're just starting to confuse me...

The due date is nearly a month after the billing cycle. (May 17- June 16 with due date on July 13). So if the statement cuts on the 16th then I should pay it a few days before. June 13 for this particular example. If I were to wait to pay on the due date in full then my bill is paid off but Cap1 would still report the balance when the statement cut in the 16th. Is this not correct or am I way off? Why is this seeming so overly complicated?
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 11 of 17
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Wait!

I think I see what you're saying now!!

Make sure to PIF by the 13th of every month (ie. the due date) but done have any charges on it before the statement cuts 3 days later. Which is for the following month.

Is that right?!?.., I hope so. If not the feel free to come to town and slap me.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 12 of 17
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
You're just starting to confuse me...

The due date is nearly a month after the billing cycle. (May 17- June 16 with due date on July 13). So if the statement cuts on the 16th then I should pay it a few days before. June 13 for this particular example. If I were to wait to pay on the due date in full then my bill is paid off but Cap1 would still report the balance when the statement cut in the 16th. Is this not correct or am I way off? Why is this seeming so overly complicated?

Not correct.  If you pay to $0 on your due date, Cap1 will report $0 or any charge that you make between your due date and statement cut that posts before the statement cuts.  That's why I'm telling you to not use the card between the due date and statement cut if you want $0 to report.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 13 of 17
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Was my second reply correct?

Sorry, I've been at work since 5pm yesterday and just made it home and am a little sleep deprived so what you were saying just wasn't clicking.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 14 of 17
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
Was my second reply correct?

Sorry, I've been at work since 5pm yesterday and just made it home and am a little sleep deprived so what you were saying just wasn't clicking.

Sorry, I missed your second reply.  Yes!

When you get down to the statement saying $0 after it cuts, you can then start PIF a day or two before it cuts next.  That way you lessen the time between your payment and the potential for something else posting. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 15 of 17
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Sheesh!!

Thanks for your help...goodnight! er day, whatever. Thanks!

-John

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 16 of 17
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Yah, like I said, the easiest way to look at it, is be sure your account has a zero balance before the statement cuts.  Because what ever is on your statement at the end of the billing cycle is what will report.  Once you get one cycle reporting zero, the rest is easy, just be sure you've paid for all your charges before the end of the billing cycle.  If you pay previous months charges after the statement cuts, then it will do you no good. Smiley Happy

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.