Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip in cash or credit card?

tag
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

Re: Tip in cash or credit card?

@SwampSystems wrote:

Always remember to fill in the tip and total lines on the merchant receipt copy, even if you tip in cash. I have had the unfortunate experience of making that mistake and having a disonest server write in their own tip after I left them cash.

That's what I typically do. I'll (90% of the time) tip in cash, but in the tip portion I write "tipped in cash."

I know a LOT of servers and bartenders, and they prefer it this way for multiple reasons, but by and large because:

a. they like the cash right then;

b. tax, they can "say" whatever they want (within reason);

Also, some places I go, they have a pool for all wait staff, that they split after their shifts. Well, I have servers and bartenders I've known and been going to for a long time, and their service is superb. So in those isolated cases, I'll tip on the card, but slip extra cash to the wait person I like. This was when I went out more and worked in Corp America (meaning, I had more money), so it's not that big of an issue now, since I don't go out as much! But, when I do/did, this is how I operate.

Message 31 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

I always leave a tip, even if service isn't stellar.  

For atrocious service, I'll leave around 10%.  For stellar service, I'll leave around 25%.  My only issue is when the industry tries to impress upon me to tip the "post" tax amount, as opposed to the pre-tax amount.  In my view, tipping on tax is absurd.

Message 32 of 47
nishant1
New Contributor

Main purpose of use of credit card is to avoid carrying cash with you. Other than one $50 bill with my car insurance in glove box and $20 in wallet, I donot carry any cash.

I always give tip on the bill but in fractions to round off the bill. For example, if our dinner bill is $ 34.73, I would add tip on the bill as $5.27 to make the charge to $40. That way, it is easy to remember.

Message 33 of 47
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

Main purpose of use of credit card is to avoid carrying cash with you. Other than one $50 bill with my car insurance in glove box and $20 in wallet, I donot carry any cash.

I always give tip on the bill but in fractions to round off the bill. For example, if our dinner bill is $ 34.73, I would add tip on the bill as $5.27 to make the charge to $40. That way, it is easy to remember.

+1000

That's exactly what I do too!  Plus when reconciling it sure does make it a lot easier.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 34 of 47
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

The tax evasion issue is not much of a problem in CA. I have been a server, bar tender, and GM of a restaurant, and the IRS just assumes that a server/other tippable staff earn 8% of their total sales. The restaurant reports each server's total sales and the IRS and state get 8%. This makes sense because a server generally has to tip out a few people out of their tip money e.g. bartender, busser, station capt...etc. 8% is fair. My $.02.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 35 of 47
colindidit
Established Contributor

I'm gonna become a waiter and have you come to the the restaurant Smiley Tongue^
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 36 of 47
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I always tip using my card for the extra points. As it's my money and it's a tip, I'll leave it in the way I see fit. However if there is a good reason to leave it in cash (or if I'm politely asked to), then I'll do that instead.

For me service is about attitude. Sometimes it may take 10 minutes to bring me something, and it's honestly not their fault. There are times when too many people call in sick or the kitchen is being slow, but the waitress is honestly doing the best that she can. I understand that and those kinds of things don't bother me.

However things like laziness, not listening (or even trying to listen), half-assing things, rude/unprofessional behaviour, or simply having a bad attitude will result in a poor tip from me. These people can expect 10-15%. Good or Great service can expect 25-30% from me on a regular basis, sometimes more. I honestly don't think most of them get paid enough for what they do and have to put up with.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 37 of 47
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Nope. Don't leave cash tip. I'm not going to make two payments just to assist the server in committing a criminal act. Pay your fair share in taxes. I definitely do.

cash is preferred but, you are entitled to your opinion counselorSmiley Wink

Message 38 of 47
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

thanks Wally. Always a gentlemen/woman and a scholar.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 47
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I rarely carry cash but I charge the meal and leave the tip in cash (usually from whoever I'm dining with - people tend to carry more cash than me).  I write 'CASH' on the tip line so no one will change any numbers.  I've been doing it that way for years.  If no one has cash then credit card tip it is!  I also tip accordingly.  Servers earn their tips so, in essence, they determine if they receive a wonderful tip or a not so good one.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.