In order to help you if you see someone's answer you wish to respond to:

Under their answer hit reply next hit the quote button Smiley Wink

I think you were asking me about the 2 step Amex process

1 app for the gold

2 if approved for gold 

3 app for BCE

In most cases this will result in 2 card approved with one HP

@millenion wrote:

So I should i apply for the Amex BCE and Amex Gold at the same time to use only on hard inquiry or wait a few months then apply for the other? Are my chances good, my credit score was 780 according to BOA in March and in June 699 Transunion (too many new accounts lol) . I'm waiting 6 months so it can hopefully go up to 750 or higher

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Tips for Applying for AMEX BCE & AMEX Gold

@millenion wrote:

My credit history is only 2 years old I'm afraid Amex make think I'm a liability for having limited history. Which is why I'm settling for Gold at the moment

But our point is that the Gold and the Platinum have the same requirements, so there is no need to "settle" for the Gold.  Just apply, when ready, for the one you really want.  (And ideally, be sure that the card you apply for makes sense for your spending patterns and needs, but that is optional!)

Message 12 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Plus, keep in mind the difference between the Gold and the PRG before apping.
Message 13 of 18
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@millenion wrote:

Yes exactly, my score used to 780 and most recently I applied alot and my transunion came up to be 699 so I'm waiting until January to improve my chances on getting gold

I'd suggest you spend the bucks to get ALL 3 reports/scores here at MyFICO, so you have a baseline to compare to come January, when I'd suggest you do another pull of all 3.  All other things being equal, this will give your history a chance to age more.  Also keep in mind that AMEX almost always pulls Experian, so getting that score here now, as that baseline, would be useful. 

I agree with the other responses, the charge cards from AMEX have the easier underwriting requirements.  You need to determine what's the best AF for you: $450 for Platinum, $175 for PRG, $125 for Gold, or $95 for Green.  Does spending $450 really get you that much more than the $175 for the PRG?  Are you going to travel extenstively to justify that $450 fee for Platinum? 

Come January, apply for the charge card of your choice first.  Once approved, THEN apply immediately for the revolver of your choice.  AMEX will use the same pull to determine approval or denial for the revolver card. 

Message 14 of 18
millenion
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
If you've opened that many cc's then waiting for 6 mos would be a good idea. When you are ready, app for the cc you want. Charge cards are supposedly easier to obtain and if you want both start there and if approved then immediately app for the BCE .

Do you want the Gold or the PRG?

I'm aiming for the Gold card, will my income be a factor in getting a charge card? Can you explain the steps to apply for Gold then BCE? I'm very worried it might be 2 hard pulls so I'm skeptical of applying one after the next. If I some how do get declined what is the best way to get reconsidered? Thanks for your help

Message 15 of 18
millenion
Established Member

@myjourney wrote:

In order to help you if you see someone's answer you wish to respond to:

Under their answer hit reply next hit the quote button Smiley Wink

I think you were asking me about the 2 step Amex process

1 app for the gold

2 if approved for gold 

3 app for BCE

In most cases this will result in 2 card approved with one HP

@millenion wrote:

So I should i apply for the Amex BCE and Amex Gold at the same time to use only on hard inquiry or wait a few months then apply for the other? Are my chances good, my credit score was 780 according to BOA in March and in June 699 Transunion (too many new accounts lol) . I'm waiting 6 months so it can hopefully go up to 750 or higher

Thanks for the tip I will be doing taht from now on Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 18
millenion
Established Member

@thom02099 wrote:

@millenion wrote:

Yes exactly, my score used to 780 and most recently I applied alot and my transunion came up to be 699 so I'm waiting until January to improve my chances on getting gold

I'd suggest you spend the bucks to get ALL 3 reports/scores here at MyFICO, so you have a baseline to compare to come January, when I'd suggest you do another pull of all 3.  All other things being equal, this will give your history a chance to age more.  Also keep in mind that AMEX almost always pulls Experian, so getting that score here now, as that baseline, would be useful. 

I agree with the other responses, the charge cards from AMEX have the easier underwriting requirements.  You need to determine what's the best AF for you: $450 for Platinum, $175 for PRG, $125 for Gold, or $95 for Green.  Does spending $450 really get you that much more than the $175 for the PRG?  Are you going to travel extenstively to justify that $450 fee for Platinum? 

Come January, apply for the charge card of your choice first.  Once approved, THEN apply immediately for the revolver of your choice.  AMEX will use the same pull to determine approval or denial for the revolver card. 

Based on what you said Gold will be the best choice for me because what I plan on using it for justifies the AF. When I apply for the other card just use the same information for the previous application right, so I will have only one hard pull? In your opinion will it matter which one I apply to first for greatest chance of success?

Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Income is a factor for any approval. What thom mentioned is that if you are approved for the Gold, apply for the BCE. This is useful for a couple of reasons:
They might use the same Hp and worse case scenario , they will age off at the same time.

Amex really does not do recons unless the cr they pulled is incorrect. It's imperative that you have all your 'ducks in a row' before apping.

I would definitely heed the advice given previously. Wait the 6 mos, pull all 3 CR's and make an informed decision.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.