cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for getting new cards or increase limits for credit rebuilding.

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Tips for getting new cards or increase limits for credit rebuilding.

Be carefull when you to to pre approval sites. With Chase I get a honest answer, 'We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time', also Amex always say 'Hello newhis, We're sorry we couldn't find a special offer for you. But based on your interests, we think you might like the following Cards:'.

All other sites offer something and they say things like 'based on your information...', 'you can be interested...' and so on.

Message 11 of 20
H14
Contributor

Discover from what I've read around here would probably need a higher score than 655. And their online prequals are often generic and don't mean anything. 

I'd suggest you try Citi, Amex, and Chase online prequals and see what they come back with. Citi even tells you the APR you'd get if approved which can be useful. 

Message 12 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Instead of being careful, just use common sense.

Of course common sense isn't so common anymore.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried amex preapproval and they gave me a we have no special offers at this time. Now I am thinking I should even try. Same as since this happen no one but capital one was willing to help. Only reason I am even trying is to get the score up to buy a new home in a year and a half. I have no problem living on cash and paying cash. There is nothing that we want and even if there was paying cash has a great feeling to it. I ony opened capital one because the mortgage guy said I needed to. Same with citi. I guess I will ask for the increase and if not just wait another six months. You cannot rebuild credit if they don't give you any to rebuid. One card proves nothing to show you can use it wisely. I paid over the balances a month. Still nothing.     

Message 14 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried amex preapproval and they gave me a we have no special offers at this time. Now I am thinking I should even try. Same as since this happen no one but capital one was willing to help. Only reason I am even trying is to get the score up to buy a new home in a year and a half. I have no problem living on cash and paying cash. There is nothing that we want and even if there was paying cash has a great feeling to it. I ony opened capital one because the mortgage guy said I needed to. Same with citi. I guess I will ask for the increase and if not just wait another six months. You cannot rebuild credit if they don't give you any to rebuid. One card proves nothing to show you can use it wisely. I paid over the balances a month. Still nothing.     

id have 3 credit accounts for mortgage.

I would take the offer for the Barclay (if you are traveling then the Arrival is best, Sallie mae is great for just 5% stuff, they back a hotel one that I have my eye on)

discover pre-qual has been pretty good in my experience

chase pre-quals are gold in all my experience and from reading others.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I tried the chase preapproval no offers. I will ask for the increase after my payment for the enitre balance shows. Maybe I will ask barclay. Not hopeful of anything and this is why I waited three years to even try. Getting our car was easy. When you can walk in and they came see income and job stabilty and you have a bank statement it's all easy. I find credit cards alwaysto be hard. When I was young and just trying to get credit to my wife who runs her own sewing business not able to get any. She can get two brand new cars 30,000 cars in her name and she paided them off all on time and early. She cannot get a credit card. Only secured ones and she has no interest in them. She has a mortagage when I met her and had it all paid for nine years on time. Still no unsecured credit. .     

Message 16 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks I tried the chase preapproval no offers. I will ask for the increase after my payment for the enitre balance shows. Maybe I will ask barclay. Not hopeful of anything and this is why I waited three years to even try. Getting our car was easy and  when you can walk in and they came see income and job stabilty and you have a bank statement it's all easy. I find credit cards alwaysto be hard. from when I was young and just trying to get credit to my wife who runs her own sewing business not able to get any. She can get two brand new cars 30,000 cars in her name and she paided them off all on time and early. She cannot get a credit card. Only secured ones and she has no interest in them. She has a mortagage when I met her and had it all paid for nine years on time. Still no unsecured credit. It is crazy.     

well I can't speak to that... on paper that makes zero sense.

but you are making it harder than it needs to be and unfortunetly while capital one is great at forgiving, and "can" be great with limits" they are a disaster for most to try to build and work with like right now... you probably will get nothing from your CLI request online without going through Exec office and I can tell by what you are typing that you are doing all right and just keep thinking/knowing that is going to be the answer with your capital one card when "payment posts" that you will get that CLI and I'm hear to say I would be SHOCKED if it was the case and you need to start building a relationship with other banks that are easier to work with in your credit journey.

Barclay gave you the rope with a pre-approved offer - you just have to grab it and apply.

check discover too.

chase will take more time, maybe you won't get an offer... I didn't but got approved for Marriott just 2 weeks ago (still shocked) rebuilding is tough and I know who to call at all the banks and it's still tough!

since you are over 12 months out on buying a house, now is the time to do the INQ's and get the new accounts because the mortgage companies won't even count the INQ's or the accounts as new when you apply for mortgage.

Message 17 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

id have 3 credit accounts for mortgage.

I would take the offer for the Barclay (if you are traveling then the Arrival is best, Sallie mae is great for just 5% stuff, they back a hotel one that I have my eye on)

discover pre-qual has been pretty good in my experience

chase pre-quals are gold in all my experience and from reading others.

I think they changed the pre-qual page, now it say 'Here is the card we found for you' even if you put fake information. I think the key is to see if they offer an APR and not a range. My DW just got a letter from Discover with invitation with 18.99 APR, he put the information on pre-qual page ant it say 'Here is the card we found for you' and say 10.99 - 22.99 APR, I expected the page to show 'Congratulations' or 'We have this offer with 18.99 APR for you', anything personal.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice. 

Capital one without asking gave us 500.00 increase. I was hoping for a 2000. We only wanted to keep two cards total.

So we applied for barclay and I was approved for  500. and discover which I don't  know how much yet. They said it would come in the mail how much. I stopped at that. 

The money I pay capital one off with I will let the card sit and then maybe ask for more. When the new cards come I will use them and pay them off after a few days then. 

I plan to rotate cards and just rebuild credit. I really just don't want any more cards than this unless I can do a second capital one and eventually just combine it into one. That would be what I prefer to do. My end goad is two cards with high limits. One for traveling and everyday for points and one for if there is ever something I want that I don't pay off that same month.

I am at least on my way to rebuilding for moving. I am very happy with that. We go on vacation soon and they will all be empty and I have plenty of cash saved to use them and pay them off the week after I come back. just more credit building. Since all the food and travel is paid for it is only any extra's I would use them for. 

Thanks for the advice at some point I may ask for a second capital one or a bigger increase. 

Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I love reading Walls of Text ... 

Honestly I saw the post, my eyes glazed over and I decided to respond to yours instead!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.