cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for remembering which card to use for what item?

tag
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Tips for remembering which card to use for what item?

So we have Discover it, Discover it chrome, and Quicksilver cards. This is probably a really dumb question but I am doing my best to maximize our cash back. Our IT card is within the first year (so it has doubling) and so does the IT chrome. I seem to be unable to get my fiance to remember which card to use for what places. The IT is gas right now, and the IT chrome we would only be using for restaurants (not gas since the IT is gas until the end of March). It's driving me nuts. Do I put labels on the cards or something? But then I'll have to change them next quarter because next quarter the IT will be restaurants and we'll have to use the IT chrome for gas. I probably shouldn't get so irritated about it but on a gas purchase he made today, not choosing the right card means we either lose out on $7.20 in rewards or I have to buy another $120 in gas gift cards to make up for it so we can get the 10% on gas instead of 4%. I guess this is semi a rant. What should I do? Take all of the extra cards out of his wallet and leave him with only the ones he needs and then label them? I hate losing money for no reason.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tips for remembering which card to use for what item?

Look into the Wallaby app.  It alerts you to the card you should use for different types of purchases.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Irish. I just downloaded it. Pretty cool. 

Message 3 of 21
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I concur. That looks pretty neat. Now if I could only get him to leave his location services on. lol.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool app but it doesn't have enough reviews on iTunes. @Irish80 How long have you used that app and how do you like it?
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@cool app but it doesn't have enough reviews on iTunes. @Anonymous How long have you used that app and how do you like it?

About 9 months.  My g/f uses it more than I do as she does most of the shopping on the outside and she seems to like it quite a bit.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

wallaby is good. i have it. once you learn you won't really need it. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely Wallaby or WalletUp both function the same, like Wallaby cause you can stop it from suggesting a card that may be at limit or has a higher APR, all you need to really do is pick your cards, sign in to the bank websites for the cards, that makes it easier to see where you are spending wise and eliminate that specific card if it will not be in your best interest to use it and move you to the next best suggested card. It has reviews in the App Store, make sure you click All Versions on the review page, the app just updated last week so by default it only shows reviews for the current update....Nope I don't work for Wallaby but I do love the app cause I like saving money and earning my rewards Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy a sharpie and write 'GAS' on the front of the card! Lol

Message 9 of 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Buy a sharpie and write 'GAS' on the front of the card! Lol

Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.