cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Being Successful with first Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tips on Being Successful with first Credit Card?

I just got approved for a $500 credit limit on the Discover it Student Credit Card and I have a few questions:

1. Can I make large purchases and pay an amount immediately to leave a small balance for the statement for "debt/credit ratio" and cashback reasons? (Spend $200 on credit line, pay $160 before the statement comes, and make it look like there is a small percentage of credit used?)

2. I am an authorized user on my parents Amex card with "no disclosed limit" and it shows up on my reports. Can I disclose any limit for this or do I just have to deal with it?

3. When will I see a credit increase on my new Discover card? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Tips on Being Successful with first Credit Card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got approved for a $500 credit limit on the Discover it Student Credit Card and I have a few questions:

1. Can I make large purchases and pay an amount immediately to leave a small balance for the statement for "debt/credit ratio" and cashback reasons? (Spend $200 on credit line, pay $160 before the statement comes, and make it look like there is a small percentage of credit used?)

2. I am an authorized user on my parents Amex card with "no disclosed limit" and it shows up on my reports. Can I disclose any limit for this or do I just have to deal with it?

3. When will I see a credit increase on my new Discover card? 

1. Yes. All that matters with DIscover is statement balance. Go ahead and MAX THAT BABY! Just make sure to pay it down before your statement cuts. Smiley Wink

2. Sounds like your parents have an NPSL charge card. You'll just have to deal with it in that case. However it isn't factored into utilization scoring on newer FICO models. 

3. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). If you treat it right, Discover usually is eligible every 90 days. Depends if you're on their "good" side.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Instead ot trying to figure out specifics for every possible given situation out there (which would be an unwieldy number of permutations), learn the basics with credit scoring and assessment and you'll be better equipped to understand regardless of situation.  Granted, there are some details that vary by situation but at least you'll have the foundation to better understand things.  Start here

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

but understand that this is just a starting point and only covers typical weighting of factors by FICO. How creditors assess reports can vary.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I make large purchases and pay an amount immediately to leave a small balance for the statement for "debt/credit ratio" and cashback reasons? (Spend $200 on credit line, pay $160 before the statement comes, and make it look like there is a small percentage of credit used?)

General advice is:

• Both overall and individual revolving utiliation matter
  • Do not exceed 30% revolving utilization.
  • 30% is not an ideal.  It is a max.  Lower is generally better as long as you don't have all your revovlers reporting 0 balances
  • Number of balances plays a role as well -- fewer is generally better

Give all that, not only can you pay prior to report date on any card, you may want to in order to control reported utilization if apping or if you anticipate that it will exceed 30% -- especially over a number of cycles.  If your revolving utilization will end up under 30% don't worry over it.  It's determined based on current balances and limits as indicated in your reports.  If you need to drop it -- such as when applying for new credit you can do so prior to applying.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am an authorized user on my parents Amex card with "no disclosed limit" and it shows up on my reports. Can I disclose any limit for this or do I just have to deal with it? 

You can't disclose anything.  Creditors report to the CRA's, not you.  I'm assuming this is a charge card though AmEx also has credit cards.  AmEx's charge cards do not have limits and do not factor into revolving utilization for current FICO models.

Additionally, accounts where one is an AU are not always considered so don't worry too much over them.  They may help in some cases but you'll have to build your own tradelines anyway.

@Anonymous wrote:

When will I see a credit increase on my new Discover card? 

We can't tell you that.  CLI's are not simply handed out in exchange for time with any creditor.

Your credit profile and income are not only primary factors for the limit you're approved for but your CLI's as well.  It all depends on what your credit profile and income support.  It's certainly possible for people to see different results in X time based on profile and income.  One could see a large CLI.  One could see a little CLI.  One could get no CLI.  One could get a CLD.  Time itself doesn't tell you that.

@14Fiesta wrote:

All that matters with DIscover is statement balance.

This meme is very popular but incorrect.  Do not rely solely on usage with any creditor.  Again, primary factors are credit profile and income.  Usage can help to some small degree in some situations but it will not make or break a CLI on its own or overrule profile & income.  Cards with little usage can see a large CLI.  Cards with heavy usage can see little to no CLI.  I didn't heavily use my Discover when it's limit was nearly doubled 3 months after opening.  I haven't heavily used it prior to the time I just received my $6K CLI a day or two ago -- or for any of my CLI's with Discover.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

14Fiesta and Takeshi mention that the charge card will not be factored into utilization in newer FICO models.  I am guessing they mean FICO 8 or later.  Is that right?

Also, I had a different understanding about how charge cards and utilization works.  My understanding was that FICO looks at the "High Balance" reported by the card.  (In our OP's case, this would be the highest balance that the card ever reported since it was opened.)  That "high balance" then becomes the defacto credit limit of that card for utilization purposes.

EXAMPLE:

If the highest balance ever reported on that charge card was $4756, then that is the number that FICO uses in place of "credit limit" for utilization calculations (for that card).  If our OP has a total credit limit of $300 on his other cards, then in this  example he would have a total credit limit of $5056.

I say this all very tentatively, with the caveat that I have never had a charge card of my own, so I never bothered to research for sure how it actually works for util.  I would be very happy to be corrected by 14F or Takeshi (or anyone else who knows).  Thanks in advance...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.