Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Next Card?

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Tips on Next Card?

My Experian and Equifax scores are both 703 (haven't been able to update them yet in my Siggy). No baddies at all, but my first credit card was August 2014. I've seen gotten 5 cards (see siggy for more info).

I'm not looking to get a new card anytime soon, but if I wanted a card with a high limit for an emergency cushion or something, should someone like me with limited history go for PenFed or NASA?

OR, should I attempt to reapply for the CSP or Freedom and combine the limits/close the old cards.

OR, I've had my eye on the Citi Prestige since I travel a bit and figured some of it's travel benefits look appealing.

Any advice? I know I have a lot of options, but I want to be prepared. I'm not looking to apply for anything new until around October/November of this year. Is that a good time?
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Re: Tips on Next Card?

Oh, oops.
I also have an auto loan for about $19,000 that I'm paying on (it's a refinance from last August also) at 3.49%. I'm gonna be paying a lot of that off this year, but not all of it to keep up the payment history.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for another Am Ex card.

Message 3 of 9
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice Swampy. I do plan to PC my Delta card to the BCE when the year is up. I just have no use for Delta, I fly One World Alliance now.
Message 4 of 9
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Personally I'd wait until December to apply because lenders may be more lenient to giving higher limits due to upcoming holidays. But honestly this is a question that you should be asking yourself. What is important to you? Also keep in mind that many offers will change between now and the end of the year. Chase Freedom usually gets the $200 cashback for $500 spend around the end of the year.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 5 of 9
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I can wait until December.

But I already got the $200/$500 Freedom last November.
Message 6 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:
My Experian and Equifax scores are both 703 (haven't been able to update them yet in my Siggy). No baddies at all, but my first credit card was August 2014. I've seen gotten 5 cards (see siggy for more info).

I'm not looking to get a new card anytime soon, but if I wanted a card with a high limit for an emergency cushion or something, should someone like me with limited history go for PenFed or NASA?

OR, should I attempt to reapply for the CSP or Freedom and combine the limits/close the old cards.

OR, I've had my eye on the Citi Prestige since I travel a bit and figured some of it's travel benefits look appealing.

Any advice? I know I have a lot of options, but I want to be prepared. I'm not looking to apply for anything new until around October/November of this year. Is that a good time?

For now, concentrate on requesting SP CLI's on the Amex card. request 3X after 2 months, then every 6 months unless you are denied any increase, in which case you wait 3 months.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 9
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Hehe, yeah I already got one CLI to the $6K, gonna try for $18K when the 6 months is up. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:
Hehe, yeah I already got one CLI to the $6K, gonna try for $18K when the 6 months is up. Smiley Very Happy

I applied for my second 3X at 9am on Christmas morning 2013 Smiley Wink 

I got the full increase to $18K. 6 months later my cli was denied, but 3 months after that, they gave me an additional $5k.

BTW, the earliest time I can next apply for a CLI is... April fools day.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.