cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To App, or not to App? That is the question.

tag
SquareObsidian
Established Member

To App, or not to App? That is the question.

Since I have gotten my Discover it, I have been using it non stop in place of my crapitol one platinum card.  I only have a 750 cl on it. But my question is, is it better to wait and grow with this card, or app for the Chase Freedom or other similar cards to help with AAoA being that they would grow together? 

My TU fico which I just checked the other day via MyFico was 763.

But I also just recently found out that my CapOne card which I have had the longest hasn't been reporting to EQ, so when I checked that it was significantly lower than with the other two bureaus. CapOne said they would send off a report for me and that I should allow 60-90 days for everything to be fixed. So this could also be hurting me currently. 

Discover it $750 2/13
Capitol One Platinum $500 9/12

Credit Bureau Scores
EQ: 656
TU: 695
EXP: 714

FICO
TU: 763

I believe I have 3 hard inqs reflecting on my report at the moment. 

No badies, low utilization.

Cards I'm intrested in:

Chase Freedom

possibly Amex BCE down the road

And maybe a Citi card..

If you need more info from me, please ask.

Edited to add additional background info.

Amex BCE $6,000 10/13 ♥ Chase Freedom $2,200 9/13 ♥ Discover it $1,250 2/13 ♥CapitolOne Quicksilver $1250 9/12 ♥

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: To App, or not to App? That is the question.

Personally I think you have a good chance of getting approved for Freedom. But of course that all depends on your annual income, any negatives on your reports etc. They pulled EX when I apped, I'm not for certain what my true FICO for EX was at the time, but from what I've seen on some CMS it was probably somewhere around the 660-680 range. A lot has to deal with your length of revolving credit history you have on your report too.

As far as Citi, I don't have any experience dealing with them.  I'm sure someone else will help you with that one.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 15
eviLution
Established Contributor

Chase requires at least 1 year of revolving history, unless you bank with them with assets to show.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 3 of 15
SquareObsidian
Established Member

There is no exception with them? It has to be atleast a year?

Amex BCE $6,000 10/13 ♥ Chase Freedom $2,200 9/13 ♥ Discover it $1,250 2/13 ♥CapitolOne Quicksilver $1250 9/12 ♥

Message 4 of 15
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

I was approved with 9 months of revolving history with 3 different tradelines, all positive only one reporting a balance utilization at 7%

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 5 of 15
SquareObsidian
Established Member

So far seems like I might want to wait a bit on the Freedom.

Anyone have anything to offer on Citi?

Message 6 of 15
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Citi denied my app for too many Inquiries....If you are in good shape there, go for it!!

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

IMO I would wait it out for at least 6 months then go for it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think you should wait a while before applying....

You don't have enough history to really be considered.  Wait another 6 months then you can apply

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 15
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Had no clue about the 1 year of revolving with chase, does that apply for their Amazon visa as well?  Wish I knew this before hand, currently on a 30day for that card.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.