To Apply or Not? Opinions Please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To Apply or Not? Opinions Please

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to confirm, here are the returns for the 5 TY points/dollar on the Forward card:

3.125% Cash back as a check

3.3% Statement credit

4-5% Most gift cards from big retailers, e.g. Walmart, Home Depot, Macy's

5% Mortgage payments, student loans

5% Flights booked through Citi's travel website, which pulls fares directly off of airlines' own websites

5.5% Amazon gift card

Never get the merchandise but sometimes it may be worth it since they go on sale, e.g. 25% points off. If you were gonna buy it anyways may be worth it to compare to Amazon prices.

Thank you very much.  3.3% statement credit is better than 1% cash back from Chase Freedom or AMEX at a restaurant (unless dining out is the 5% Freedom category).  I'd probably use it for Amazon though since I can buy books and other necessary things.

What's the 0.25% APR reduction thing?  

Also, right now it looks like the offer is 6000 points when you spend $250 in the first 3 months?  So 6000 points is equivalent to a $330 Amazon gift card?!

Also 2500 bonus points for doing paperless?  So that's another $137 Amazon gift card?  Am I missing something here?

No, each point is worth between 0.6-1.1 cents so those percentages only apply for the 5 points/dollar spent categories.

So 6000 points is worth $66 at most if redeemed for an Amazon gift card.

Oh I see.  So on your rewards balance you have two separate categories or something? 

Message 21 of 28
Ron1
Super Contributor

They refused to renew my Citi Forward Card without any reason.  They didn't know why it was closed. I don't think I want to apply for the card. They're probably going to deny my application.

Ron.

Message 22 of 28
CS800
Super Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

They refused to renew my Citi Forward Card without any reason.  They didn't know why it was closed. I don't think I want to apply for the card. They're probably going to deny my application.

Ron.

So it was closed by them or the date expired?

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to confirm, here are the returns for the 5 TY points/dollar on the Forward card:

3.3% Statement credit

5% Flights booked through Citi's travel website, which pulls fares directly off of airlines' own websites

5.5% Amazon gift card

Never get the merchandise but sometimes it may be worth it since they go on sale, e.g. 25% points off. If you were gonna buy it anyways may be worth it to compare to Amazon prices.

Thank you very much.  3.3% statement credit is better than 1% cash back from Chase Freedom or AMEX at a restaurant (unless dining out is the 5% Freedom category).  I'd probably use it for Amazon though since I can buy books and other necessary things.

Also, right now it looks like the offer is 6000 points when you spend $250 in the first 3 months?  So 6000 points is equivalent to a $330 Amazon gift card?!

Also 2500 bonus points for doing paperless?  So that's another $137 Amazon gift card?  Am I missing something here?

No, each point is worth between 0.6-1.1 cents so those percentages only apply for the 5 points/dollar spent categories.

Oh I see.  So on your rewards balance you have two separate categories or something? 

Don't know if you saw my edit on the previous post:

As for the APR thing, you're supposed to get 0.25% deducted every 3 months so long as you stay under your credit limit and pay your bills on time each month, max of 8 times.

Yes, on your online account they will itemize the points in the bonus categories vs non-bonus categories.

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

3.3% Statement credit

5.5% Amazon gift card

Don't know if you saw my edit on the previous post:

As for the APR thing, you're supposed to get 0.25% deducted every 3 months so long as you stay under your credit limit and pay your bills on time each month, max of 8 times.

Yes, on your online account they will itemize the points in the bonus categories vs non-bonus categories.

No, I didn't see it but thanks for the info.  So over the course of 2 years you can reduce your APR by 2%, plus the highest they will start you at is 19.99 which is lower than the 22.99% I see on most cards.  Awesome.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly. I was quite suprised since they started me off at the lowest APR, 12.99%. Which means in 2 years I will have 10.99% my lowest by a landslide Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice.  I keep thinking that I'm worthy of something other than the highest offered APR, but all of my cards are just that.. As high as they possibly go.  I'm going to app tonight when I go home and see what happens.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know what you mean. I've always gotten the run of the mill APR so its nice that Citi gave me something actually useful should I ever need to carry a balance.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.