Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Close or NOT To Close....

tag
sgs71
Regular Contributor

To Close or NOT To Close....

I have a question.  Yes, I went all nuts with SCT when I first got on here.  I have 6 Commenity cards.  A couple useless, I'll never buy anything.  So far I received a CLI on my OS card.  Started at $250 and is up to $650.  Can't get crap from any of the other ones.  So, my question is, my score has significantly improved since starting to rebuild in June.  Low 500's across the board now I'm over 600.  Should I close these lines I don't want anymore or just leave them alone?  I'm afraid if I close any, I may see a score drop, not to mention, they are helping my total credit available.  I know each situation is unique and may not be the case for everyone.  My gut is telling me to just leave them alone...??  Recommendations greatly appreciated!  Oh, also, I'll complete the credit steps next month on my C1 Platinum and Quicksilver1 cards, so I'm thinking, just leave well enough alone for now..

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To Close or NOT To Close....

As long as you are diligent enough to check them once a month to make sure there is no fraudulent activity on them, I say leave them open.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are pretty young. I would let them age to at least a year. That doesn't mean you have to us me them; you could just throw them in a sock drawer and forget about them, so long as you look at the statements every month.
Message 3 of 6
sgs71
Regular Contributor

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the response.  I'm just going to tuck them away somewhere and close them once my score is more stable and then gradually get rid of them.  Thanks again!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leave them open and allow them to grow. I also have 6 comenity cards and get CLIs every month on all except one. What other comenity cards besides OS you have?

Message 5 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@sgs71 wrote:

I have a question.  Yes, I went all nuts with SCT when I first got on here.  I have 6 Commenity cards.  A couple useless, I'll never buy anything.  So far I received a CLI on my OS card.  Started at $250 and is up to $650.  Can't get crap from any of the other ones.  So, my question is, my score has significantly improved since starting to rebuild in June.  Low 500's across the board now I'm over 600.  Should I close these lines I don't want anymore or just leave them alone?  I'm afraid if I close any, I may see a score drop, not to mention, they are helping my total credit available.  I know each situation is unique and may not be the case for everyone.  My gut is telling me to just leave them alone...??  Recommendations greatly appreciated!  Oh, also, I'll complete the credit steps next month on my C1 Platinum and Quicksilver1 cards, so I'm thinking, just leave well enough alone for now..

If your scores are currently, I'd recommend leaving them open.   Also, if you just obtained them in June, they've only been open for 4 months.   Some Comenity cards don't give an initial CLI until the 9th month.   Which Commenity cards do you have?   And which of those are the "useless" ones?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.