Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Combine and Add or Not?

tag
CFAN
Valued Member

To Combine and Add or Not?

I have 3 cap1 cards today and I have been thinking about combining. However, the card I would close is my oldest card (got the month my BK7 was discharged 10/2010).

All of my cards with cap1 are zero balance each month.

I would be combining my 4950 limit with my current 1000 QS1 which would give me my highest bank card limit at 5950.

I have 10k on my Lowes. 7500 on another synchrony card.

My FICO 08 scores are EX 708, EQ 721, and TU 721

I checked the cap1 pre-qualification and I am prequaled for Venture Rewards and QS so i would apply for one of these as well.

So should I do the combination and apply for a new cap1 or no?

I did check to see if my cards were eligible for upgrades and they said no. In fairness I just paid them off 45-60 days ago.

Any help much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To Combine and Add or Not?

@CFAN wrote:
I have 3 cap1 cards today and I have been thinking about combining. However, the card I would close is my oldest card (got the month my BK7 was discharged 10/2010).

All of my cards with cap1 are zero balance each month.

I would be combining my 4950 limit with my current 1000 QS1 which would give me my highest bank card limit at 5950.

I have 10k on my Lowes. 7500 on another synchrony card.

My FICO 08 scores are EX 708, EQ 721, and TU 721

I checked the cap1 pre-qualification and I am prequaled for Venture Rewards and QS so i would apply for one of these as well.

So should I do the combination and apply for a new cap1 or no?

I did check to see if my cards were eligible for upgrades and they said no. In fairness I just paid them off 45-60 days ago.

Any help much appreciated.

If you are preapproved, I would apply for the Venture first, then combine the accounts, and then 6 months down the road, roll the $5950 limit into the Venture if approved.  The QS would be the ideal card to have as the benefits from the Venture is not as good as some of the other travel cards out there, but in the past the Venture gave higher limits than the QS, but I don't know if that still holds true as so much is changing daily it seems in the credit world. 

Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I agree with KayKay65, very likely with your scores a Venture might give you a 15k sl as weve been seeing lately. Seems like a good roll of the dice for a good high limit cardSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
CFAN
Valued Member

Thanks guys.

I thought with Cap1 you could only have 3 cards?  You can combine after applying?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFAN wrote:

Thanks guys.

I thought with Cap1 you could only have 3 cards?  You can combine after applying?

You can have up to 5 cards, but only 2 of them can be the rebuilder cards.  You could in effect every 6 months, combine cards and reapply if preapproved, but you would want to diversify your portfolio with other lenders. 

Message 5 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Which Capital One cards to you have, and when were they opened?

I woudn't combine anything into the QS1 simply because it's so hard to product-change into a no-fee card. If anything, I'd try to combine the QS1 into something else unless there's an overriding reason not to.

According to Capital One's website, you're allowed to have five cards with them. But according to people here, you're not going to be approved for more than one card in a six month period.

Message 6 of 13
CFAN
Valued Member

Ah!  Gotcha on the 5 cards.  My most recent card is like 5 years old at this point so I am good on the 6-month deal.

I was combining my 1% Rewards card to my 1.5% QS1 with a 18.9% APR.  I will sometimes carry balances for a couple of months so the 6% reduction in APR plus the bonus 0.5% rewards makes sense.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFAN wrote:

Ah!  Gotcha on the 5 cards.  My most recent card is like 5 years old at this point so I am good on the 6-month deal.

I was combining my 1% Rewards card to my 1.5% QS1 with a 18.9% APR.  I will sometimes carry balances for a couple of months so the 6% reduction in APR plus the bonus 0.5% rewards makes sense.  

It's always a good move to combine into a lower interest rate.  Hopefully, you will be able to get an even lower interest rate on the Venture card if approved. 

Message 8 of 13
CFAN
Valued Member

SO yeah, thanks for the advice..

Just got approved for 20K!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFAN wrote:

SO yeah, thanks for the advice..

Just got approved for 20K!

Congrats. You're on your way now. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.