Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To PIF or no?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To PIF or no?

Hi all!

Am still new to this entire credit card world, and all. I am wondering if it is better to PIF or to leave some on the card to show that they are utilized? I do have the money in my current checking account to cover everything (and, as you will see..i'm not a "huge spender").

Here's what my cards currently look like:

Sallie Mae: $65.96 on statement balance; current balance is $115.96 --- I have a CL of $3300, and min payment is $20. 0% APR at the moment (new account holder).

Victoria's Secret: $27 on statement balance --- $1000 CL and min payment of $25. 24.9% APR on this card.

Right now, I'm thinking of paying off the Victoria's Secret one in full using either my checking account or my new QS (if I can do that?). And, to leave my Sallie Mae as is to show roughly 2% util and I wouldn't be paying any interest on those purchases. Is this a better option then paying them both in full? Is it better to show some utilization vs showing none?

If it matters any my scores are as follows...CK says I am at 748, and barclaycard updated me today as a 742.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: To PIF or no?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

Am still new to this entire credit card world, and all. I am wondering if it is better to PIF or to leave some on the card to show that they are utilized? I do have the money in my current checking account to cover everything (and, as you will see..i'm not a "huge spender").

Sallie Mae: $65.96 on statement balance; current balance is $115.96 --- I have a CL of $3300, and min payment is $20. 0% APR at the moment (new account holder).

Victoria's Secret: $27 on statement balance --- $1000 CL and min payment of $25. 24.9% APR on this card.

Right now, I'm thinking of paying off the Victoria's Secret one in full using either my checking account or my new QS (if I can do that?). And, to leave my Sallie Mae as is to show roughly 2% util and I wouldn't be paying any interest on those purchases. Is this a better option then paying them both in full? Is it better to show some utilization vs showing none?

If it matters any my scores are as follows...CK says I am at 748, and barclaycard updated me today as a 742.

Hey hey 

General rule as long as you're not applying for any new credit don't worry about when to pay..

Let the statement cut and pay 

However if your looking for max scoring then the general rule is have one card report a balance between 1-9% 

And no you can't use QS to pay your VS unless you want to BT and that comes with fees  .... so just pay that small amount off 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: To PIF or no?

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

Hey hey 

General rule as long as you're not applying for any new credit don't worry about when to pay..

Let the statement cut and pay 

However if your looking for max scoring then the general rule is have one card report a balance between 1-9% 

And no you can't use QS to pay your VS unless you want to BT and that comes with fees  .... so just pay that small amount off 

Well said. +1

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.