cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Pay off or not to Pay off

tag
kbravo1974

To Pay off or not to Pay off

I have a new AMEX Delta card.  I dont like to carry a balance, however I like to charge on the card and pay that balance off a throughout the month.  I am okay to keep doing this or am I better to wait until the billing cutoff and then pay off?  How will AMEX view this for a CLI, I believe that I should still be earning the miles either way. What would you do?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: To Pay off or not to Pay off

I use my amex bcp all the time and pay it off multiple times through the month. Dont think amex cares at all, as long as they are getting paid. I just have an aversion to letting big numbers sit on a cc even if i will pay it off every month. I typically make 2-3 payments a month.
Message 2 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

they don't care as long as your paying off the balance doesn't matter how many times a month you pay. Although if you have a $5,000 limit and your charging and paying off more than that each month then it could be a good reason to ask for a CLI in the eyes of a rep.

Personally I make about 5 payments a month to each credit card I use a lot I'm just weird, but I have no problem getting new cards and nice credit limits as you can see from my signiture =)  I have a very short AAOA less than 2 years, and I'm still getting approved for just about everything I'm applying for.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Why would you go through the hassel of paying multiple times unless you are hitting your credit limit, Charge away... let the money sit in an account earning interest... and PIF 2-3 days before the due date...  As long as your monthly spend doesn't put you over 30% utilization you will be fine! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1
Let your money work for you. Keep the money in the bank and PIF just before statement cut if you want "0" reporting. Every little bit helps and is good practice for yielding the highest returns. JMHO. :-)

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 5 of 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
+1
Let your money work for you. Keep the money in the bank and PIF just before statement cut if you want "0" reporting. Every little bit helps and is good practice for yielding the highest returns. JMHO. :-)

And to add to that there is really no point in having 0 reporting unless you are going to app for another credit card before your next statement cuts.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Great advice! I agree 100%. :-)

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.