cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Pay or Not to Pay, that is the Question..

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: To Pay or Not to Pay, that is the Question..

So, on these forums I have heard two versions:

1) Walt_K's above, the magic figure is 1-9% of the CL on one card on that card, the rest 0

2) daybreakgonesXe and others:  The magic figure is 1-9% of TOTAL CL, one one card, the rest 0.

Certainly 2 creates issues as pointed out by Walt_K, and I asked about that yesterday (in the context of constantly increasing total CLs by apping, it gets harder to meet this goal on one card).

However 1 is strange as well.  Presumably FICO is meant to measure something like how well I am doing with credit.  If I have say $150K in CL, and I keep a very old store card with $100 CL, can I just put $1 on it to maximize score?  This doesn't seem to reflect the total credit picture.

So, is there a consensus?

Message 11 of 20
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I don't think there will ever be consensus, but I also have a feeling that is because it is going to vary between people. The best bet if it is a life and death matter is to play around with it beforehand and find a sweet spot.

It seems to me that the exact situations described in this thread are the reasons why it is less formulaic across all individuals than assumed. We know for a fact that FICO has the ability to bucket consumers based on certain characteristics, so is it completely ridiculous to hypothesize that utilization also depends on some sort of segmented calculation? For example, those with available credit stemming from 15 tradelines vs. those with available credit stemming from 1. This idea could be expanded into all sorts of categories including the dollar amount, the type (cards, vs. home equity vs. flex spending), etc. My thought, and I have no empirical evidence for this, is that my recent app spree probably changed my ideal utilization.

Maybe I'm very wrong, but if I'm not it will probably blow all assumptions on this forum out of the water. So lets hope I'm wrong Smiley Happy

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 20
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Very interesting thread, learning alot. Smiley Happy
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 13 of 20
VikingsLoyalFan
Valued Member

Thanks guys, I think I am understanding.. Just play around with it and see what drops me or raises me.. I am still too afraid to pay them all off 100%

Message 14 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

This is a general rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule. That said, IMO most instances of people stating the guideline as 1-9% of total CL are due to people speaking imprecisely or repeating someone else who was speaking imprecisely. I can't recall any instances of anyone actually verifying that a 40% individual utilization that was, for example, 7% total utilization providing them their optimum score. I wouldn't expect to see any examples like that either as we know that individual utilization is scored.

I have seen reports of people having no problem with having small balances on two accounts.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 20
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Personally I do not worry about getting to 9% reporting.  I just make sure it reports below that amount.  Best bet is to only have 1 card report a small balance (less then 9% of that cards credit limit.)

Having 2 cards report will hurt your score.  I had a second card report a 1.50 balance and it ding my score 15 points.  I have well over 60K of open credit. 

Do not use one card and attempt to hit 9% utl of all open credit limits.  If you go above 90% of one card balance that is considered maxed out, and this is another deduction in your score (typically a big one)

Do not let all cards report with a 0 balance.  Your cards will report as paid OK. but all having a 0 balance will reduce your fico score as well. 

I sometimes only let 5-10 dollars report on one of my cards.  This seems to work just as well as 1-9%  of  the balance for my scores.

Another post had a great point about utl round up.  $1 reporting on a 100K limit is still 1% utl. 

***edited because I am a terrible writer.

Message 16 of 20
VikingsLoyalFan
Valued Member

so even if you have a 0 balance on your card it reports? I suppose that is what I am asking. 

Message 17 of 20
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@VikingsLoyalFan wrote:

so even if you have a 0 balance on your card it reports? I suppose that is what I am asking. 

I have been playing around with my scores since I opened my first cc in August 2012. I pay  most of them in full every month before the statement cuts. A few I let balances hit...mainly because I'm paying Christmas stuff off on those. Anyways....when I let a 0 balance hit, it has always shown ok for that month on my credit reports. I assume they mark it ok because I was charging stuff and paying it off so there was activity. I'm sure it is different for other creditors but you can see what I have in my signature line. I don't know about the Amex cards though because they are so new they have not hit my credit yet.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 18 of 20
Neat
Valued Member

@SnackTrader wrote:
I don't think there will ever be consensus, but I also have a feeling that is because it is going to vary between people. The best bet if it is a life and death matter is to play around with it beforehand and find a sweet spot.

It seems to me that the exact situations described in this thread are the reasons why it is less formulaic across all individuals than assumed. We know for a fact that FICO has the ability to bucket consumers based on certain characteristics, so is it completely ridiculous to hypothesize that utilization also depends on some sort of segmented calculation? For example, those with available credit stemming from 15 tradelines vs. those with available credit stemming from 1. This idea could be expanded into all sorts of categories including the dollar amount, the type (cards, vs. home equity vs. flex spending), etc. My thought, and I have no empirical evidence for this, is that my recent app spree probably changed my ideal utilization.

Maybe I'm very wrong, but if I'm not it will probably blow all assumptions on this forum out of the water. So lets hope I'm wrong Smiley Happy

+1

Amex Green, Signal FCU Platinum Visa, Navy FCU Cash Rewards Visa Sig., Citi Forward Visa, Barclaycard Apple Financing Visa
Message 19 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@VikingsLoyalFan wrote:

I am buying a house in a few months. Will a balance of 0 stop reoccuring reports to my credit?

Comenity Bank which holds a lot of store cards, will not generate statements or report if you have a zero balance.  Most others do report if there is usage and zero balance.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.