Did you mean: 

To WalMart or not to WalMart...

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: To WalMart or not to WalMart...

@frogfan12 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago. Maybe three now.

You may want to hold off, at least 6 months, don't rock the boat with Barclays.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 21 of 38
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I already applied for another CC and haven't had any problems. Not that I plan on going crazy with the apps but I think I'll be alright. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 22 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

I already applied for another CC and haven't had any problems. Not that I plan on going crazy with the apps but I think I'll be alright. 

In that light I would definetely hold off for 6 months. They have a record of AA on new accounts.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

In that light I would definetely hold off for 6 months. They have a record of AA on new accounts.

recent thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-Closed-my-Apple-Credit-Card-without-Notice/m-p/...

Message 24 of 38
frogfan12
Established Contributor

That thread also reveals that the person whose card was cancelled had a lot of inquiries prior to opening the account, had to recon, and then opened new accounts. I had like 3-4 inquiries, did not have to recon, and I've only opened one new account. And honestly, I got what I wanted...I just wanted a laptop. I won't use the Barclaycard for anything else. 

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogfan12 wrote:

That thread also reveals that the person whose card was cancelled had a lot of inquiries prior to opening the account, had to recon, and then opened new accounts. I had like 3-4 inquiries, did not have to recon, and I've only opened one new account. And honestly, I got what I wanted...I just wanted a laptop. I won't use the Barclaycard for anything else. 

You can do a search for Barclay's and AA or account closures. I'm not saying that your account WILL be closed I'm just showing there is a possibility that their credit ninjas will chop off your account's head with their samurai swords. There are other accounts but to be honest I'm too lazy to search for it... You can do it on your shiny new Mac Smiley Happy As I recently got my shiny new Mac on another card and BT to my Barclay's for the 9 month 0% BT offer Smiley Happy There is also many posts here where Barclay's kept accounts open and they were in the middle of an app spree. 

Message 26 of 38
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but...

I got Barclay's right after I got Walmart -- like a week later, and WM was already on my CR. I also got Navy during the same month, but they took a LONG time to report -- like over a month, or something. I think it reported when the first stmt cut. Anyway, I was a little concerned that Barclays would react when the Navy CC reported, but it was fine.

Others here have said that they have added new CCs after getting Barclay's w/o a problem. I guess it's one of those YMMV situations.

Personally, I LOVE having my WM card (even tho I wish I had been approved for the Discover). The FICO from WM matched exactly with what my CU told me my FICO was when I CLId this week. In fact, it was because I knew what my TU FICO was that I had the confidence to CLI. Smiley Happy

I know how tempting it is to app when you read about so many people getting cards and CLIs here... I definitely have CCs I wouldn't have if I hadn't found this forum, not that that's a bad thing at all. I just really have to keep myself grounded and remind myself of what my credit goals are, and how apping (inq) and new card (if approved) would affect my credit and overall credit goals.

So, only you can decide if it is right for you. Frankly, I seriously doubt you'd have any recourse from Barclay's if you added WM. But I don't think I'd go beyond that for 3 months.

Also, I'd keep in mind what your Barclay's balance is... I had a $750 bal on a $2200 CL, so I knew there was cushion and thought they'd be less nervous about new CC activity. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 27 of 38
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Thanks all for your input. I may try for the WM card. I'm really just interested in the free TU score monthly. By no means do I want to rock the boat with Barclays, so I appreciate your feedback on that matter. I'd just be really disappointed if I wasted an inquiry to get the regular WM card and get negative reactions from my other CCs.

Message 28 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Thanks all for your input. I may try for the WM card. I'm really just interested in the free TU score monthly. By no means do I want to rock the boat with Barclays, so I appreciate your feedback on that matter. I'd just be really disappointed if I wasted an inquiry to get the regular WM card and get negative reactions from my other CCs.

I think it would be in your best interest to wait it out, Barclays>GE. You'll get better customer service and better CL's through them, don't risk losing them for a new card. Give it 6 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 38
terren2000
Regular Contributor

Walmart is my first card I got when I was rebuilding.

They arent hard to get. 

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.