cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To add my mom as joint user or authorized user in my Kay Jeweler's card and Capital One ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add my mom as joint user or authorized user in my Kay Jeweler's card and Capital One ?

She will receive her social security number in few days and her Green Card is here.

My Credit Card with Kay is over 14 months old with only 200 $ balance and 4 000 $ limit,never late or over limit.

We will have to go to the store and  apply there and I am afraid  there will be HARD pull for JOINT USER and maybe SOFT for AUTHORIZED USER.

Capital One is the starter card and I bet we will be stuck with 500 $ limit forever.

I think to add her  as  Joint user on KAY CARD ,check her FICO here next month and if  is  over 650 to apply  for which prime cards- City which card? Amex Zync?

BoA which card?

The Capital One is it worth it to add her as AU or after checking her FICO is best to apply for better card from Capital One?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: To add my mom as joint user or authorized user in my Kay Jeweler's card and Capital One ?

@Anonymous wrote:

She will receive her social security number in few days and her Green Card is here.

My Credit Card with Kay is over 14 months old with only 200 $ balance and 4 000 $ limit,never late or over limit.

We will have to go to the store and  apply there and I am afraid  there will be HARD pull for JOINT USER and maybe SOFT for AUTHORIZED USER.

Capital One is the starter card and I bet we will be stuck with 500 $ limit forever.

I think to add her  as  Joint user on KAY CARD ,check her FICO here next month and if  is  over 650 to apply  for which prime cards- City which card? Amex Zync?

BoA which card?

The Capital One is it worth it to add her as AU or after checking her FICO is best to apply for better card from Capital One?

Take a look at

Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers Credit Card

That would be the obvious card to apply for from Captial One.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To add my mom as joint user or authorized user in my Kay Jeweler's card and Capital One ?

The idea is to jump start her credit file.

A card called '' Newcomers Credit Card " is not helping at all.

Will be a  great start if we  had  no cards to add her as JU or AU.

Message 3 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would agree... I would add her as AU to your Kays.  In 6 months when she has a score I would apply for Amex Charge Card and Citi Forward... possibly add a store card in if she likes a paticular one.

Message 4 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

The whole idea is to have her as AU for at least 6 months.

Are your scores good enough for a charge card?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think once she is added to my Kay card she will have  automaticly credit score based on my payments for over 14 months.

Why she have to wait 6 months to get a score?

My scores are not good for charge card- FICO is around 610-630 ( checked by lender last month)

Message 6 of 13
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

The way that I un

@Anonymous wrote:

I think once she is added to my Kay card she will have  automaticly credit score based on my payments for over 14 months.

My scores are not good for charge card- FICO is around 610-630 ( checked by lender last month)

The way I understand it; is that while she may *show* credit history as an AU; it takes 6 months of history, to generate a FICO score. 

Others that are more knowledgable can confirm or dispute my understanding. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 7 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The minimum requirements to generate a score:

• At least one account that has been open for six months or more
  • At least one undisputed account that has been reported to the credit bureau  with in the past six months
  • No indication of deceased on the credit report (Please note: if you share an  account with another person this may affect you if the other account holder is reported deceased).

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My account was OPEN 14 months ago.

The moment she is added to my account and the Kay reports to the CRA  they will report to her credit same number of 14 payments to her file.

After this she will have ESTABLISHED 14 month old TRADELINE and I guess her FICO will be over 650 .

FICO 650 will help her get few nice cards and start gardening for a  year or less...

AM I WRONG?

Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My account was OPEN 14 months ago.

The moment she is added to my account and the Kay reports to the CRA  they will report to her credit same number of 14 payments to her file.

After this she will have ESTABLISHED 14 month old TRADELINE and I guess her FICO will be over 650 .

FICO 650 will help her get few nice cards and start gardening for a  year or less...

AM I WRONG?

No you're not wrong. If she's added as an AU she will inherit the entire history of the account. But not every issuer will list AU's. Have you checked to see if she can even be added?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.