cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To app for the Chase Freedom or not?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: To app for the Chase Freedom or not?

@-Wade- wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

For me i would never get a card and then SD it just for the bonus ( just my 2 cents )

Just wondering why not?   There are some cards out there with big bonuses that may not make sense to keep long term.

And if LongTimeLurker Bank offered you our newest card, $1M bonus after spending $1, no rewards, no AF first year and then $1000, you wouldn't be tempted to take it and cancel before the AF..?

For me i have all the CC's i want Smiley Happy

There are an few cards out there I think are good for sign up bonuses in my situation. For me I would do prg,arrival +, citi as executive. Just for sign up bonuses. That's almost Twp thousand dollars of travel right there,but my situation isn't the same as everybody else's 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

For me i would never get a card and then SD it just for the bonus ( just my 2 cents )

Just wondering why not?   There are some cards out there with big bonuses that may not make sense to keep long term.

And if LongTimeLurker Bank offered you our newest card, $1M bonus after spending $1, no rewards, no AF first year and then $1000, you wouldn't be tempted to take it and cancel before the AF..?

When is LongTimeLurker Bank marketing the offer...I'm all in for this bonus and have 6 new spots (HP's)  ready Lol

Might even app twice...

Wait  a minute what's the redemption rate and are the points transferable to FA programs.... ROFLOL

Couldn't resist love the offers from LTL Bank Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 17
Jungook
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

When is LongTimeLurker Bank marketing the offer...I'm all in for this bonus and have 6 new spots (HP's)  ready Lol

Might even app twice...

Wait  a minute what's the redemption rate and are the points transferable to FA programs.... ROFLOL

Couldn't resist love the offers from LTL Bank Smiley LOL

Agreed. Could you link us the offer from LTL Bank? Would be much appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 17
Jungook
Regular Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

So I planned on apping for 3 cards in the coming weeks. The AMEX Everyday, the Sallie Mae, and the Chase Freedom. As time goes on though I'm beginning to think that the SallieMae really renders the Freedom useless for my situation. Sallie Mae has 5% gas off every quarter rather than 1 or 2, it has 5% off Amazon every quarter instead of just the holiday season and I already have a Discover IT in case I go over the SallieMae spending threshold. So really I'd only use the Freedom for the one quarter 5% off restaurants and maybe some other quirky offers they have.

For some reason though I still want a Chase card, not to mention the gracious $200 bonus offer they're currently holding, but the logical side of me is saying that I'd probably sockdrawer the Freedom. I wanted everyone's opinion on whether or not apping for the Freedom would be worth 1 inquiry for the $200 bonus offer and sockdrawing it since they're is no AF.

EDIT: and for EXTREME cases, I would have a Visa card in case the merchant doesn't accept the other payment networks.

I think you should app for the Freedom also but it is a $150 bonus now.  Plus if you go over the SallieMae it doesn't mean that you can just use the Discover,  only if it has the same overlapping categories that quarter that you would go over.

I just checked at it seems the Freedom isn't even a $150 bonus and is back down to the normal $100. I can't believe they only had the $200 for the month of June! Well I guess Chase has decided for me. Not going to apply Smiley Very Happy

Yea its only the 100 dollar deal now. I would wait till nov/dec they will offer it again. 

I just got off of the Chase website it said $150.

Are you sure? I'm using this link https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom1.aspx?F42G=Y71UH&CELL=63WS and it only shows the $100 offer.

Message 14 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jungook wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

So I planned on apping for 3 cards in the coming weeks. The AMEX Everyday, the Sallie Mae, and the Chase Freedom. As time goes on though I'm beginning to think that the SallieMae really renders the Freedom useless for my situation. Sallie Mae has 5% gas off every quarter rather than 1 or 2, it has 5% off Amazon every quarter instead of just the holiday season and I already have a Discover IT in case I go over the SallieMae spending threshold. So really I'd only use the Freedom for the one quarter 5% off restaurants and maybe some other quirky offers they have.

For some reason though I still want a Chase card, not to mention the gracious $200 bonus offer they're currently holding, but the logical side of me is saying that I'd probably sockdrawer the Freedom. I wanted everyone's opinion on whether or not apping for the Freedom would be worth 1 inquiry for the $200 bonus offer and sockdrawing it since they're is no AF.

EDIT: and for EXTREME cases, I would have a Visa card in case the merchant doesn't accept the other payment networks.

I think you should app for the Freedom also but it is a $150 bonus now.  Plus if you go over the SallieMae it doesn't mean that you can just use the Discover,  only if it has the same overlapping categories that quarter that you would go over.

I just checked at it seems the Freedom isn't even a $150 bonus and is back down to the normal $100. I can't believe they only had the $200 for the month of June! Well I guess Chase has decided for me. Not going to apply Smiley Very Happy

Yea its only the 100 dollar deal now. I would wait till nov/dec they will offer it again. 

Are you sure? I'm using this link https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom1.aspx?F42G=Y71UH&CELL=63WS and it only shows the $100 offer.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom2.aspx?F42G=FH24R8&CELL=63WS gives the $150 offer

Message 15 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

Of course you should apply for the freedom it's one of the best cash back cards there is and the chase ultimate rewards program is amazing
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 16 of 17
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom2.aspx?F42G=FH24R8&CELL=63WS gives the $150 offer

It is strange if you click on the link from here it is just the $100 offer.  If you go directly to the Chase website it is $150. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.