cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To be fooled Barclays is fine to deal with.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fooled Barclays is fine to deal with.

I have had the jet blue plus card since sept 2016 and they have in that short time: 1) Reduced my apr 2) increased cl by $5000 3) in a great good faith gesture, they cut my AF fee in half to $45 and refunded the other half. I question the validity of the reports I hear about barclay sudden AA and that they are hard to deal with. I'm not sure you are hearing the full story or people who slam Barclays for AA maybe don't know what's lurking in their file. As long as you have a robust credit file, barclay will treat you just the same as Chase, boa, Amex, etc. why would a bank issue you a card just to jack you around? It's unfounded innuendo. 

Aaoa 3 years. TU 727 EX 734 EQ 744 $207,000 total CL over 13 accounts.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To be fooled Barclays is fine to deal with.

Sport folks I meant don't be fooled

Message 2 of 35
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

It's good to hear that Barclays has worked out well for youHeart That being said, there are many reports of AA with Barclay even when the person has a robust credit file.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

glad I am not the only one. They've been great to me, but I have no more use for them with their product changes, namely the death of poor ol' Sallie Mae. 

They will sit in the sock drawer until they have something worth using again.

Message 4 of 35
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Likewise!
Message 5 of 35
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

It's only been 5 months. Your still in the "honey moon" phase. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 35
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had the jet blue plus card since sept 2016 and they have in that short time: 1) Reduced my apr 2) increased cl by $5000 3) in a great good faith gesture, they cut my AF fee in half to $45 and refunded the other half. I question the validity of the reports I hear about barclay sudden AA and that they are hard to deal with. I'm not sure you are hearing the full story or people who slam Barclays for AA maybe don't know what's lurking in their file. As long as you have a robust credit file, barclay will treat you just the same as Chase, boa, Amex, etc. why would a bank issue you a card just to jack you around? It's unfounded innuendo. 

So, because you have had the Barclays JetBlue Plus card for 5 months you are now in a position to call into question and marginalize others' experiences with the bank? That's illogical. I think it's great you enjoy Barclays so far; but you really don't know everyone's circumstances and shouldn't be impugning their integrity or disputing the veracity of their claims simply because you've had a positive experience for a few months. What exactly makes your story more valid or even believable than theirs? 

I've been quite satisfied with my Barclays JetBlue Plus card as well, but that certainly wouldn't lead me to the conclusion that it's unlikely that Barclays (or any business) could treat another customer untowardly. That would be like doubting the existence of water in an ocean...

Message 7 of 35
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to say the same thing but then little by little I started noticing things that bothered me.  It started with the stupid auto pay that still processes the min payment even though you have paid the full statement balance.  Then there were a few times that the app was "unable to process payment at this time."  Once or twice I had to pay interest charges because the app would not accept the payment and then I forgot to try again later.  Then they closed Sallie Mae and replaced it with a piece of junk.  No CLD or anything like that but I use the card every month and rarely open new accounts.  We will see what happens after they hit the SD. 

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

It's only been 5 months. Your still in the "honey moon" phase. 

Pretty much this.

Though I'm glad it's working out for you.  It is a numbers game and if they were bad to everyone they'd be out of business. But the one line I disagree with is to say they treat you the same as other banks, that I disagree.  It seems around these parts for every iffy story of one institution there are a handful to go with it from Barclay, myself included and I have an excellent file.  Though they are generally friendly over the phone, I am lead to believe it's their computer algorithms to blame.  Their band of what they consider acceptable behavior is probably narrower than most which causes more frequent slamming of the hammer.  But the computers didn't program themselves, some human did.  But I guess it makes sense considering they have far less capital to work with than their competitors.

Message 9 of 35
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

Barclays is a mixed bag, but most on here who PIF should ditch them, Barclays like Capital One and a few others are in the business of making money off interest on balances left, not swipes. 

A report from Europe it says in there specifically how banks are switching there positioning to that closer to Europe and Asia with the bonus offers. The ones churning or opening card to get the bonus and never use it are the ones banks consider poor investments because they make no money on them ever. Technically its true, those who PIF arent profitable compared to someone who leaves a small balance, unless they average alot of swipes to even out the interest you would get charged if you were to leave a balance.

An example is someone who pays $40-60 in interest a month is more valuable to a bank than someone who swipes there card 20-30 times if the swipe fees dont add up to more than the interest then your not a valuable customer in the banks eyes. This is where credit scores doesnt mean crap.

I have a friend who has had Barclays for 3+ years and never got a auto CLI or attempted (he doesnt get into CLI and stuff like that) he always paid in full but wondered why he never receieved a auto CLI, same with Amex and Cap One. I told him pay everything down and always leave some $50 balance left over so they can get some interest on you since you dont swipe enough to be considered profitable in there eyes (algorithm). He did that for half the year and he came back to me saying all his cards auto CLI him by 5K. I said its simple you dont average 30-40 swipes on each card to say they are making money off you and PIF, you have to work the algorithm. His scores never dropped but stood the same or even increased.

Everyone is different, but there is no way someone who was never PIF can be given the advice of PIF and not expect the computer aglorithm to not pick up and detect a massive change in the way you do business and not get flagged. Its the way the programs are written, to detect fluctuations in the way credit is used but the way you pay, swipe and everything else in between which all has to be taken into effect to be able to go undetected by the aglorithm.

Most on here are getting caught by the computer aglorithm more than human intervention. Getting AA'ed is not a human response, that is a automated computer flagging you which then its pushed over to human eyes to proceed.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.