Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close Cap1 secured or not to close

tag
muumike
Regular Contributor

To close Cap1 secured or not to close

Cap1 Secured reporting a $0 balance. Don't really have any need for it anymore. Discover More with 2.5k limit, ZYNC  NPSL and AMEX BCE AU 6k limit.

Here is my question:

If I were to apply for a card or loan in the future, would it be more beneficial to have this card as an open or closed TL on my report? Yes, it has around 1.75 years of history (more than the others), but would closing out the card with the incredibly low limit ($500) let banks see I am no longer in need of a smaller limit? Basically, is there any upside to closing it or should I just keep it open and eat the $39 af each year?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
scarzy
Regular Contributor

Re: To close Cap1 secured or not to close

I would go to the EO route of possibly getting the AF waived. Just do a search for Capital One's EO posts for more information!

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 2 of 8
muumike
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

Just wasn't curious if lenders see the tiny limit and go "ehh hes not ready for anything bigger" or if it gets calculated in somehow to them issuing me a specific CL.

Message 3 of 8
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

@scarzy wrote:

I would go to the EO route of possibly getting the AF waived. Just do a search for Capital One's EO posts for more information!

+1 on trying the EO route. Get that CL raised and that AF knocked off and you're good to go.
Message 4 of 8
muumike
Regular Contributor

It is a secured card. They wont bump the AF or the CL.

Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@muumike wrote:

Cap1 Secured reporting a $0 balance. Don't really have any need for it anymore. Discover More with 2.5k limit, ZYNC  NPSL and AMEX BCE AU 6k limit.

Here is my question:

If I were to apply for a card or loan in the future, would it be more beneficial to have this card as an open or closed TL on my report? Yes, it has around 1.75 years of history (more than the others), but would closing out the card with the incredibly low limit ($500) let banks see I am no longer in need of a smaller limit? Basically, is there any upside to closing it or should I just keep it open and eat the $39 af each year?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

IMO, It makes little difference whether open or closed, since it stays on the report for 10 years.   There is no need to keep it open, so I would close before the AF is due.

Message 6 of 8
muumike
Regular Contributor

In that case, the AF doesn't hit until November so I will close it just short of that date.

Thanks all!

Message 7 of 8
wonderandawe
Valued Member

I contacted the EO about my secure card.  They were not able to give me a CLI or Rewards, but gave me a credit for last years AF and waived this years fee.  

My suggest is to ask for everything (CLI, Rewards, etc) and have EO counter offer with a waived AF.

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.