Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not close my Credit One account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To close or not close my Credit One account

I just got approved for an upgrade on my Cap One card from a Platinum Mastercard to the Quiksilver. MY cl is $2,500.  I was also just approved for a Barclays Rewards card for $500. My question is, I have a Credit One card for about the past year but the interest is so high on it that I barely use it. Should I close this account since I am moving up to prime cards or just sock drawer the Credit One card? The Credit One card is a year old as of December. 

8 REPLIES 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: To close or not close my Credit One account

Dump the sucker. Sooner you move away from Usery cards, the happier you will be. Don't even worry about scoring, or AAOA at the moment.

Message 2 of 9
schsa210
Established Contributor

Plus 1 on on saying bye bye to CreditOne

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got approved for an upgrade on my Cap One card from a Platinum Mastercard to the Quiksilver. MY cl is $2,500.  I was also just approved for a Barclays Rewards card for $500. My question is, I have a Credit One card for about the past year but the interest is so high on it that I barely use it. Should I close this account since I am moving up to prime cards or just sock drawer the Credit One card? The Credit One card is a year old as of December. 

Ande - dump that card today! You already have far better cards in your wallet.  Closing the Credit One Card will not affect your AAoA (Avg Age of Account) because positive accounts / tradelines stay on your report for 10+ years from date of last activity. Garden for a little bit, use your new cards wisely. Keep your utilization low. Let the new accounts age a little bit. It's hard to wait but in 3 months (depending on your total profile) you should be read for another card. When you apply next, try to make sure that all of your credit reports show all of your cards under 10% (so 9% or less) utilization individually and combined.

Message 4 of 9
Siopao
Regular Contributor

I would say close that card before the AF kicks in.  I made the mistake of holding on to Credit One for too long, a little over 3 years.  I finally closed them a couple months back and it felt good not having to worry about that $8 per month I had to pay.  

It's not worth it, you have better cards now.

Message 5 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

DUMP CREDIT ONE....

Cancel it.

Burn it

Shred it

You dont need it...

-J

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get rid of Credit One as soon as possible.  It served its purpose and it's a leech and will suck you dry if you let it with the no grace period and the fees and all of that.

Congats on your recent approvals Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're moving up in the credit world. Credit One served its purpose when you were rebuilding. Now it's time to move on. Get rid of them before they kick you with any fee. Call them and cancel the account. They will try to offer you something to stay. Do not take the offer. Confirm your balance is at zero. Ask for a written letter to be sent to you confirming your zero balance and account closure. It's the best thing.

Message 8 of 9
android01
Valued Contributor

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth having Credit One in your portfolio.  Although closing it won't affect your scores as mentioned earlier, merely having it on your report is a stain on your portfolio, even if it is closed.  It is possible it could affect future applications if they are done by manual review.  Lendors see it and automatically know that you've had credit problems in the past.    Close it yesterday!  Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.