Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close? BankofAmericard Cash Rewards

tag
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

To close or not to close? BankofAmericard Cash Rewards

I've had this particular account with Bank of America since 2008. It started off as a Platinum Plus Visa with no rewards and a $500cl/$59 annual fee. At the time I was rebuilding my credit and couldn't care less that it was worthless. I was 19 a new mom and new to credit and was just extremely happy to get my foot in the door.

Now, fast forward to today I see my annual fee has been charged again and the limit still at a whopping $500. I don't know what to do because they refuse to remove the annual fee and they won't raise the credit limit. My credit is far more superior than it was back then and I have accounts that see more growth.

What should I do?

I didn't want to close this account. It is one of my oldest accounts my credit history started in 06. I have several other great accounts. But I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should wait and see?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To close or not to close? BankofAmericard Cash Rewards

Call and convince them to remove annual fee. They will. Say you have other cards and you don't need this one with a fee and will close it.

Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I assume they won't let you PC it to anything else? If not, unfortunately you may want to bite the bullet and close it, since they won't remove the AF and won't let it grow with your improving scores. Your AAOA will recover, and your score may temporary dip but it will rebound. And I wouldn't waste my time with a bank who obviously doesn't value you much.

For what it's worth, I have had nothing but bad luck with BOA not even in the credit card sense but the few times I've had banking products with them (I had a CD with them) they were generally terrible, bad customer service in branches, didn't seem to value customers at all, etc.

Message 3 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

BoA sucks.

Close the card and move on.

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your AAoA will not suffer if you close the card.  Closed accounts stay in your report for 10 years. Try to get rid of the AF but it won't hurt your score if you close it.  Here a good thread about closing cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 5 of 16
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

If they wont permanently remove the fee or product change the card, close it.  It will remain on your report for up to 10 years and wont have any adverse effect on your AAOA.

Message 6 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Irish80 is right. Honestly your AAOA will be fine because it will reports on your report for years anyway, whether it's closed or not. That temporarily slipped my mind.

Definitely just close this stupid card and move on. Lol the Cash Rewards from BOA is not that exciting of a card anyway. I'd rather have the BCE with the categories flipped (3% groc 2% gas vs BOA's 2% groc 3% gas) because unless you spend a ton on gas, the BCE is better.

But that's not the point. OP, I'd just tell BOA goodbye Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! I product changed the card last year to a BankAmericard Cash Rewards card expecting there to be no annual fee but there still is. They say that they will not remove the AF so I'm going to most likely close the card. It will stick with me for 10 years so thats ok. I've had perfect payment history and everything which is pretty disappointing. In the past they have told me that my card was partially secured which wasn't true (never put a deposit) so I think that might be the issue.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a huge Bank of Amerca user, this is very tricky. 

If I were you and didn't care about rewards, but didn't want to pay an annual fee, I'd call Bank of America and see if you can get the annual fee waved. If you can't get it waved, close the account or ask if you could have it switched to the Cash Rewards CC where you get 3% back of gasoline, 2% back at grocery stores, and 1% everything else like mine in my siggy. 

Don't be afraid to close it and app for the one that actually gives you rewards. That card is going to stay on your report for 10 years, regardless if you close it or not. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds insane to me. I would call and tell them that you need to close the card because you can't justify the annual fee and have others. Say that you hate to see it go but times are hard but you just can't justify paying the annual fee. 

If they still won't budge, close the damn thing. 

Can't believe they're doing this to you

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.