Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To close or not to close...

Hi,

I received the dreaded 29.99% rate hike letter from Citicard yesterday and I'm at a loss what to do. I recently was able to pay off all of my credit cards (over $20,000 worth!), of course EXCEPT for this one, and it is carrying a $5300 balance on a $5800 credit limit. I cannot pay it in full and do not want to apply for other credit to transfer the balance to. My FICO score as of Monday was 742 and including the $5800 limit on this card, I have about $26,000 in available credit. I'm afraid to opt out and close the account while continuing to pay down the balance because I don't know what will happen to my credit score (especially since I'm hoping to sell my condo and buy a house in the near future) but on the other hand, the monthly payments will be ridiculous and I feel like I'm being suckered if I continue to keep the card with those terms. As I've had conversations with a few companies in the past trying to lower my APRs, find out why limits were dropped, to no avail, I'm not relying on them "changing their mind" if I call them. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: To close or not to close...

Hi, welcome to the forums, and sorry it's under such circumstances! Smiley Sad And HUGE congrats on paying off the rest of your CC debt!!

What is your current APR? What were your minimum payments on this card before, and what will they be now? 29.99% per annum is basically 2.5% per month. Ugly, true --that's about $132.50 in interest that first month. Less each month, of course, as you reduce the balance. How much can you throw at this card, and how quickly?

Your scores shouldn't suffer if you have to close the card to escape the high APR. Its history will continue to count, and if you have $0 balances reporting on the other cards, you won't be hurt by losing the $5800 CL. (Read fused's "Closing Card Cards" linked below in my siggy.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, I'm so glad I found this place! Yes, it's very frustrating to pay things off only to seem to be punished for it, ie. paid off a $9,0000 BofA card and they dropped my limit to $500 and all my other cards either dropped my limit or raised my APR after paying them off! (and, yes, I know that I signed up for these cards well aware this could happen, but it still hurts!) My current APR with this card  is 14.99% (already raised out of nowhere from 9.99%) and my minimum was around $125.00/mo. I'm figuring the payment will now be double that. I probably can't put more than the $250 per month towards it, maybe, if I get any tax refund at the beginning of the year, a little more then, so at that rate it seems like it will take forever to pay it down.  My other cards are at zero balances, only have my mortgage and car payment on my credit report with balances other than this. I'm concerned that my largest credit line, Home Depot, will also be cut from it's current $9400 and really mess me up if I close this one, but again, I also have no guarantee Citi won't just reduce my credit line/close this one as I pay it off anyway so a part of me just wants to cut my losses and really do everything I can to just get it paid off at the 14.99%. I did read the link, I have another month to make up my mind on what I'm going to do with this one, maybe I'll find a pot of gold between now and then!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the same letter for one of my citi cards....I have already gotten a letter for another saying my account did not meet their scoring criteria to remain open so they closed that one. LUCKILY, I already bought my house (closed 8/24/09). Needless to say, my credit is already taking a nose dive because of adding that amount to DTI but hey....I'd rather have my home than credit cards! Guess I'll continue to plug away at that debt and return to the 1 card ONLY method along with cash is king Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just read a post on another Citi RJ thread that there is the option to keep the current APR for 6 months, and if you can pay off your balance in that period, it will then go to 29.99%. (I still can't type that APR without choking. Smiley Mad)

BronsonsMom, doesn't sound like you'll be able to pull that off, but there's an option for others.

One possibility, depending on your income, etc. would be to get a loan from a credit union to pay off the Citi balance, and then pay the loan off over 24 months or so. It should be a lower APR and longer terms, and as a bonus for FICO scoring, it would move the debt over from revolving to installment util, which would help scores. Not that FICO scoring is the important thing here, but just an FYI.

You sound like good CU material. You're obviously someone who is serious and disciplined and determined to pay off debt, and you've managed to take care of most of it. Check your Yellow Pages, and ask around at work etc., to find out what credit unions might be in your area. Many CU's pull Equifax (upper Midwest CU's often pull TU), so you can pull a new FICO EQ score report, visit local CU's, show a loan officer your report, and tell them that it's a Beacon 5.0, and that you know that they would have to do a hard pull if you applied, but do they think that they might approve a loan based on what they see on your FICO report? If you have to use TU, tell them that the FICO TU report is the TransUnion Empirica Classic '98. Not the '04, alas.

At any rate, that might be a way for you to be able to pay this off without going under yourself.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I don't think I could pay it off in 6 months, but I definitely will check out the CU advice-that sounds like a good way to go! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to post how things go!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to let you know that I'm closing on a $5000, 13% fixed rate, 24-month loan from our local bank to pay off this account tomorrow! I decided to check with them first before looking into credit unions. The bank was more than happy to take our business, actually they said they've been getting more and more people just like us looking for a better alternative to the "big guys". (I'm a former BofA customer who just recently, out of disgust, transferred my acct to this local bank). I'm happy with knowing I'll have a fixed payment to pay off the remainder of our credit card debt and plan on staying credit card debt free going forward-finally!!!! I'm even more happy that, even though they may have tried, Citicard did not ruin me! They can raise my rate to 100%  and it doesn't matter, I'll never use it again.

Thanks again for your advice Smiley Happy
Jill

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Great job!

Local banks are often as good as CU's, if they are in fact local and haven't been swallowed up by the big guys.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.