Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To close or not to close...

About a year ago I applied for the Chase slate card. I was accepted with an extremely low limit of $400. Just last month I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and was approved for $5,000. Today I called to see if Chase would up the limit on my slate card, using the sapphire application as reference. They said the only way they could increase the limit on my Slate card is to do a hard pull, which I'd like to avoid.

I never really use the card, it's balance is $0.00. Should I just throw it in the sock drawer or should I close it out? I know it seems silly, I just hate logging in to my chase.com account and seeing that little $400, it's taunting me! Smiley Happy

Since it's only $400 I don't really think it will help with my utilization but then again, it doesn't hurt to just keep it open. 

What would you do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: To close or not to close...

@Anonymous wrote:

About a year ago I applied for the Chase slate card. I was accepted with an extremely low limit of $400. Just last month I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and was approved for $5,000. Today I called to see if Chase would up the limit on my slate card, using the sapphire application as reference. They said the only way they could increase the limit on my Slate card is to do a hard pull, which I'd like to avoid.

I never really use the card, it's balance is $0.00. Should I just throw it in the sock drawer or should I close it out? I know it seems silly, I just hate logging in to my chase.com account and seeing that little $400, it's taunting me! Smiley Happy

Since it's only $400 I don't really think it will help with my utilization but then again, it doesn't hurt to just keep it open. 

What would you do?

Personally I would keep it open... unless your goal is to get rid of low limit cards. Why not remove it from your online login? May help you not be reminded of that low limit every time you log in Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you do?

It really depends what you have in the rest of your report.  Absolutely you don't need it, but as you stated: it doesn't hurt to keep it open either.

In this case the Slate is a useful card, with a low APR (and BT offers as I recall) and 0 AF.  Eventually you'll get to a point where another inquiry isn't going to matter (if you're not applying for a car or mortgage in the next two years, or any other significant card why not do it?)

If you have lots of cards already, then losing the tradeline isn't going to make a material difference, but if you're sitting on 3-6, then it might in six months to a year.  With a $0 AF though, while it's true it's not going to help your utilization much, it's still beneficial for payment history and your average age of accounts the longer it's open, the more it's going to help you.  Worst case if you decide to get rid of it, just let it sit idle in the proverbial sock drawer and wait till Chase gets around to closing it as inactive for you.

Personally I'd just use it occasionally and keep it open, though my theory of inquiries is to just apply for several things at once and let them all age together (YMMV) so I'd just eat the HP to get the CL up to something more useful since I already took the ding on the CSP.

Congrats on that CSP though, it is a sweet card Smiley Happy

        
Message 3 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'd just sockdrawer it. Or maybe put it in a nice little picture frame on the nightstand. Or use it as a coaster.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The APR on my Slate is actually 21.99%, which I think its pretty high.

I had really bad credit from when I was younger, defaulted on my first card. Was young and dumb...you know the deal.

I'm always cautious on what I do when it comes to my accounts. I wasn't sure if closing it would be a negative mark, or if having a $400 credit card on my report would be bad either. Perhaps I'm over thinking it, just don't want to do anything that will negativetly effect my report. 

I guess for now I'll just leave it open and hide it from my chase.com account. How long does it take before Chase closes it for being inactive? How does that show on your report?

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

The APR on my Slate is actually 21.99%, which I think its pretty high.

I had really bad credit from when I was younger, defaulted on my first card. Was young and dumb...you know the deal.

I'm always cautious on what I do when it comes to my accounts. I wasn't sure if closing it would be a negative mark, or if having a $400 credit card on my report would be bad either. Perhaps I'm over thinking it, just don't want to do anything that will negativetly effect my report. 

I guess for now I'll just leave it open and hide it from my chase.com account. How long does it take before Chase closes it for being inactive? How does that show on your report?

Usually you're OK on a bank card for six months or so; a store card for a year or so. This varies wildly, though, so don't bank on it.

Why don't you sock-drawer it except for the near-legendary Slurpee once a month? Or once every three months, for that matter.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you do?

I'd SD it and run a small charge on it every now and then.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'd just sockdrawer it. Or maybe put it in a nice little picture frame on the nightstand. Or use it as a coaster.

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.