Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To close or not to close

Ok I have ONE card with an annual fee.  The BB rewards MC.  Coming up on that time  the annual fee is 39.00 but over the year I have managed to reap a whole lot more than 39.00 in rewards.  The problem is ,I can't decipher how much was from the MC usage and how much from the store card usage.  A few hundred bucks at least.  I had them waive it the first year before activation and two years of reporting history looks a lot better than one.

To close or not to close?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
orl2185
Established Contributor

Re: To close or not to close

Brammy wrote:
Ok I have ONE card with an annual fee.  The BB rewards MC.  Coming up on that time  the annual fee is 39.00 but over the year I have managed to reap a whole lot more than 39.00 in rewards.  The problem is ,I can't decipher how much was from the MC usage and how much from the store card usage.  A few hundred bucks at least.  I had them waive it the first year before activation and two years of reporting history looks a lot better than one.

Mod, read on a few post about you loving BB I believe you bought a refrigerator not sure if I'm correct. Might as well stay with it. Give it another year of reporting,
Message 2 of 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have one card with an AF - my Chase United airmiles card.  I prbably break even of make a profit, but I am keeping it because every one of my cards serves a very specific purpose.  This one actually serves two - it is my "keep track of charitable donations in one place" card, and also my "transfer money to the bottomless pit (AKA Dear Daughter)" card.  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

orl2185 wrote:

Brammy wrote:

Mod, read on a few post about you loving BB I believe you bought a refrigerator not sure if I'm correct. Might as well stay with it. Give it another year of reporting,

Super Contributor maybe YOU should read my previous posts and realize the card I love is the Store card not he MC and the purchase was a dishwasher and Xmas presents. Oh and YES I do love BB. Love dillards too bit what does that have to do with the issuer.

Message Edited by Brammy on 03-19-2008 08:53 AM
Message 4 of 16
orl2185
Established Contributor

Brammy wrote:

orl2185 wrote:

Brammy wrote:

Super Contributor maybe YOU should read my previous posts and realize the card I love is the Store card not he MC and the purchase was a dishwasher and Xmas presents. Oh and YES I do love BB. Love dillards too bit what does that have to do with the issuer.

Message Edited by Brammy on 03-19-2008 08:53 AM

LOL, I stand corrected...
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy, you have the store card. And you receive reward points from it. And you have the M.C. card with an A/F, which you also receive reward points. As far as that goes, why have 2 cards that give you points from the same store. Especially if the M.C. is costing you money in A/F fees?

I'd say if it won't hurt your utils to much, close the M.C. It's not benefiting you that much is it?
Message 6 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Death to subprimes! I just closed 8 of my subprime cards.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 16
orl2185
Established Contributor

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Good for you, Hope it doesn't dip your scores that much though. Gotta give you credit for  such a bold move like that

Message Edited by orl2185 on 03-19-2008 11:35 AM
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Phew. That was a brave move on your part. How much in total cl's did you loose?
Message 9 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, looking back over your records, what did you buy with the MC, and why didn't you use the store card for it? If it's giving you BB goodies in exchange for non-BB purchases, I can see that it might be worth keeping, what with having a Young Male Person in your household and all. Smiley Wink

But if it's just getting used in the store, and the store card would have worked as well, I vote to dump it.

I now find myself with a mild-to-moderate case of excessive-card-itis, so I feel your pain. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.