Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: To close or not to close?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a Military Star card (store card version) that I am considering closing. Below are the pros and cons I have considered. I would like to know if I have missed any and what your opinion on the matter is. Two added notes for this that don't necessarily fit into a Pro or Con: 1. I am no longer in the military and could only use this card online which I never intend to do. 2. The credit simulators on CapOne's site and Credit Karma show this as having zero effect on my score.

Pros

Account is the only account with any late payments and closing it will allow this stuff to fall off my report eventually (10 years)

One less target for identity theft.

If the above does happen this is the least likely card I would catch it on since I do not track the account at all.

Cons

This is my oldest active card by 8 months

My AAoA is pretty bad, 1 year 8 months, and this could/will make it worse

So what say you oh wise credit sages? 

1. If you're never going to use it you might as well close it.

2. Whether you close it or don't close it will not affect the reporting of your late payments.

3. Whether you close it or don't close it will not have any effect on the average age of accounts until 10 years from now, at which point it won't matter.

4. Closing it will shorten your "age of oldest account" factor, but since the difference is only 8 months, that's not a big deal.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.