cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To credit gardeners here... how's it growing?

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

To credit gardeners here... how's it growing?

Pardon the pun in the subject heading... couldn't resist. Smiley Wink

Since it's the beginning of a new month, I pulled my scores and reports today. I've done no apping this month and have made payments on my old, outstanding accounts. My new accounts are all PIF. Two of my new accounts had balances post though... one was for an AF that hit just as the statement cut, and one was for Kay Jewelers which had charges for my DD post before the PIF. These balances should be at $0 when the next CRA report updates hit.

Anyway... I got a 7 point EQ bump for my efforts this month, whil TU didn't budge an inch; exact same score as Jan 1. Nevertheless, most of the creditors in my area pull EQ, so if only one improved, I'm happy that it was with them. Smiley Happy

So... how are my other gardening buddies doing?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: To credit gardeners here... how's it growing?

Still over 6 years and growing.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 10
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

I'm just a regular John Q. Customer now.  I don't have any large purchases coming up this year, so I get to rest from checking the scores and reports monthly, racing to beat the statement balances, shopping for better rates, raising my blood pressure talking to CSRs, etc.  I'm just relaxing by the pool with my lemonade (well, only in my mind because it's almost ZERO degrees and a snow storm here in Michigan -- brrrrrrr).  Oh, back to the response... still gardening the old fashion way, s-l-o-o-o-o-w and steady.

Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've done some, ummm, transplanting recently (Costco True Earnings), but otherwise, I'm just puttering away.

Getting ready to do some weeding: the PenFed AmEx is getting ready to hit me with an AF, and I don't use it enough to warrant hanging on to it. I need to pick the flowers cash in the rewards points first, though!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I broke into the 800 club on EQ (805 on 1/15/2011 -- with a hefty post-Christmas balance I let report on my Blue Cash to boot) and received my first Amex charge card (4th Amex trade line) so that I could add DW as an AU (her 7th AU account -- this one will be her 2nd oldest TL because of backdating) last month.

DW went from regular rejections and sub-$500 limits from First Premier, et al, to getting an Amex Blue with a $5,500CL (in about 13 months) and breaking into the 700 club on EQ  last month. Woot!

Message 5 of 10
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Credit gardening has been going good.. Most of my applications happened in the summer and fall of 2009 and I only had one application in all of 2010. That was for the NASA credit union and their credit card, both of which I surprisingly got approved for.. So, as far as inquiries go I think I'm ok.

Since opening the NASA accounts last fall I've just been focusing on paying down balances and getting credit line increases on a couple of accounts. Score-wise and credit profile-wise things have definitely been improving.

Message 6 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@stan_the_man wrote:

I broke into the 800 club on EQ (805 on 1/15/2011 -- with a hefty post-Christmas balance I let report on my Blue Cash to boot) and received my first Amex charge card (4th Amex trade line) so that I could add DW as an AU (her 7th AU account -- this one will be her 2nd oldest TL because of backdating) last month.

DW went from regular rejections and sub-$500 limits from First Premier, et al, to getting an Amex Blue with a $5,500CL (in about 13 months) and breaking into the 700 club on EQ  last month. Woot!

Wow! Congratulations, to you and your DW both! Smiley Very Happy This is so encouraging to hear, for someone like me who is in the rebuilding phase! Thanks for sharing.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 10
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Last app spree was 3.5 years ago.  Last CC was 1.5 years ago.  I'm getting $4000 back from uncle sam, and all credit cards will be PAID.  It will be a good feeling, and I will probably keep myFICO brothers (and sisters) informed.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I'm a little stoked becayse my TransUnion score finally hit a milestone of 674, making me OOOH so close to the infamous 700 club. Smiley Very Happy

It's been difficult because for a while now I've been in the sub-645 range on both TransUnion and Equifax, and only got to the 660s twice with TransUnion only to watch those scores plummet into the 620s and have to work their way back up.. If I play my cards right and pay down my balances/lower my utilization a bit more before each card reports I might be able to hit the 680s this month. Smiley Very Happy

Oddly enough, my Equifax scores are in the pits right now. Have no idea why TransUnion rewards me for my current credit picture and Equifax punishes me.

Message 9 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@FicoScore626 wrote:

I'm a little stoked becayse my TransUnion score finally hit a milestone of 674, making me OOOH so close to the infamous 700 club. Smiley Very Happy

It's been difficult because for a while now I've been in the sub-645 range on both TransUnion and Equifax, and only got to the 660s twice with TransUnion only to watch those scores plummet into the 620s and have to work their way back up.. If I play my cards right and pay down my balances/lower my utilization a bit more before each card reports I might be able to hit the 680s this month. Smiley Very Happy

Oddly enough, my Equifax scores are in the pits right now. Have no idea why TransUnion rewards me for my current credit picture and Equifax punishes me.

Woo, hoo!!! Congrats! It always feels great to hit a milestone, doesn't it? I'm hoping that my EQ will go past 650 this month. My scores have been inching up over time, and so long as they keep heading in the upward direction I'm content. I'm really itching to get up to 660 in the short term, and I'm anxious to get into the 700 club, as well.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.