cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To fellow 800 Club members (Advice on the last Hoorah)

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: To fellow 800 Club members (Advice on the last Hoorah)

I would go for a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Cash Rewards card.

Message 11 of 21
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I mena if you follow anything I do I'll apply for anything, half the time with no use!

But the fact that the next highest CL after the $20k with Amex is $5300 and not wanting to apply unless you get $10k plus, although score and everything deserves it some of these automated approval computer systems will kick down the initial CL just based on your average CL on your accounts.

If you know car, marriage, home? are coming in the next couple years you can afford a couple INQ right now, start with Home Depot, get an underwriter and ask for $20k

not sure Chase is worth it or not, sometimes people get very large lines and others can't get out of $1k, it's almost like Cap1 or something!

go ahead and apply for the discover

a 2nd amex would probably be EASY and getting $25k on your current Delta and a new one would probably take very little time.

Then you have an entire year to sit and the new accounts age and inq to go away to then get the car etc.

Yes, increasing the limits on those other cards is a good move.  I'm surprised to read your Home Depot is at $1100 dollars with a $20k Amex in your wallet.  You may want to go with PSECU for an initial $10k limit or some other credit union.  

Just my cent and a half.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 21
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'd go for a BCP and look at getting a CLI on some other cards if it doesn't mean a HP. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 13 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Have you looked into Simmons First?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 21
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all for posting on this thread and for the advice. Info from these forums is priceless to me. I'll probably work my current cards for soft pull CLI's and see where I stand after that.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey nice scores and good luck!

Message 16 of 21
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

IMHO I wouldn't apply for a thing unless you realy need it.

Very good advice. This is typically how I manage my credit. However, looking down the road a little bit, I may be buying another car in the next year to 18 months. I also have plans to get married one of these days (and everything that comes with that). Therefore, I may be leaving the 800 club Smiley Sad and want to get a great card while I can still hang this great score.

Also, the advice on doubling up with AMEX is intriguing. I actually haven't thought about that. Im a little concerned with how much more credit AMEX would want to extend me if I already have a 20k CL on my Delta.

Unless you are convinced you need to remain in the 800 club, by all means you are idealy positioned for an app spree. there are members on this site that would be willing to kayak accross the pacific ocean just to have the same credit profile you do. then they would app their tush off.

reward yourself, have a bottle of fine wine and wine app your tush off. you have earned it and no one should stop you. start with discover more, avoid subprime traps, and end with barclaycard ring (so what if they close you for too many apps.) you are doin just fine.

but in all seriousness, the light is super green for you to app. for a discover more. i would apply for a discover miles too if i were you. based on your information, it is very likely that you could get a discover more with a starting limit of 6k or greater.

i however, did my only app spree i will ever do about  two years ago. i am a couple of cards to go before i am done long term.  i plan on applying for two more cards in the next two years. FNBO discover and BarclayCard Ring mastercard.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 17 of 21
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I mena if you follow anything I do I'll apply for anything, half the time with no use!

But the fact that the next highest CL after the $20k with Amex is $5300 and not wanting to apply unless you get $10k plus, although score and everything deserves it some of these automated approval computer systems will kick down the initial CL just based on your average CL on your accounts.

If you know car, marriage, home? are coming in the next couple years you can afford a couple INQ right now, start with Home Depot, get an underwriter and ask for $20k

not sure Chase is worth it or not, sometimes people get very large lines and others can't get out of $1k, it's almost like Cap1 or something!

go ahead and apply for the discover

a 2nd amex would probably be EASY and getting $25k on your current Delta and a new one would probably take very little time.

Then you have an entire year to sit and the new accounts age and inq to go away to then get the car etc.

there you go. invite creditaddict over for an app spree party, he will be able to make your apping experience a perfect adventure! im sure CD will even provide the chabis! Smiley Happy

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 18 of 21
logan_720
Established Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Hello fellow 800 club members. I am new to these forums but have been with MyFICO for quite some time. I've been gardening for longer then I've known the term Smiley Happy

This is my first  new thread but I really jus wanna hear from those with similar credit resumes as mine.... Although all input will be appreciated

Im looking for ONE more credit card. Then I'll probably retire from Apping. I'm really intrigued by DISCOVER as its not in my wallet currently but I also want excellent spending power. In other words, a CL of less then 10000 doesnt really interest me.

With a MyFICO score of 812, >1% utilization, no INQ's, no baddies, AAofA of 9yrs, >2000 total debt...

what, in your opinions, is the ONE last card that will give me the most bang for my buck?

BofA? Not military and have no relationships with Credit Unions.

@Anonymous main CC is my AMEX Delta Platinum @ 20000 ($100.00 balance).

@I also have a C1 @ 5300 (no balance), a bank card @ 5000 (no balance), a CHASE Freedom @ 2000 (no balance), Home Depot 1100 (no balance).

Thanks in advance.

First of all, being in the 800 club isn't that hard, as your credit score is very minor compared to a whole portfolio, and can flucuate from month to month Smiley LOL Also, you've only been a member for under a month Smiley Surprised Anyway, theres some tough love from me...And I would say that a Chase Saphire Preferred would compliment your credit portfolio very, very nicely. It seems like its a very sophisticated card, available to those who have earned, like yourself and I don't see why you would have a problem getting a reasonable credit limit, or reconning for a higher one in the case you are given one you can't work with. Though I doubt they would do that.

Message 19 of 21
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

@tmbr10 wrote:

Hello fellow 800 club members. I am new to these forums but have been with MyFICO for quite some time. I've been gardening for longer then I've known the term Smiley Happy

This is my first  new thread but I really jus wanna hear from those with similar credit resumes as mine.... Although all input will be appreciated

Im looking for ONE more credit card. Then I'll probably retire from Apping. I'm really intrigued by DISCOVER as its not in my wallet currently but I also want excellent spending power. In other words, a CL of less then 10000 doesn't really interest me.

With a MyFICO score of 812, >1% utilization, no INQ's, no baddies, AAofA of 9yrs, >2000 total debt...

what, in your opinions, is the ONE last card that will give me the most bang for my buck?

BofA? Not military and have no relationships with Credit Unions.

@Anonymous main CC is my AMEX Delta Platinum @ 20000 ($100.00 balance).

@I also have a C1 @ 5300 (no balance), a bank card @ 5000 (no balance), a CHASE Freedom @ 2000 (no balance), Home Depot 1100 (no balance).

Thanks in advance.

First of all, being in the 800 club isn't that hard, as your credit score is very minor compared to a whole portfolio, and can fluctuate from month to month Smiley LOL Also, you've only been a member for under a month Smiley Surprised Anyway, theres some tough love from me...And I would say that a Chase Saphire Preferred would compliment your credit portfolio very, very nicely. It seems like its a very sophisticated card, available to those who have earned, like yourself and I don't see why you would have a problem getting a reasonable credit limit, or reconning for a higher one in the case you are given one you can't work with. Though I doubt they would do that.

Thanks for the "tough love" Smiley Happy

However, I've actually been MyFico member for a few years. I decided the become a contributor and not just a browser of these boards about a month ago.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion that an 800 FICO isn't that hard. I've fought a long hard battle with my credit and have utilized a terrific amount of patience, discipline, restraint, common sense and overall dedication. Needless to say, it wasnt easy for me.

There's my "tough love" response Smiley Happy

Back on topic... The Chase Sapphire Preferred is squarely in my sights. Hopefully, I can get through a backdoor and get someone to consider upgrading my Freedom based on a soft pull.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.