cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To garden or not to garden, that is the question.

tag
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

To garden or not to garden, that is the question.

Damn near died in a car wreck in late 2003 that I spent months in the hospital for. I had insurance but still walked out with no employment and $160,000 in medical bills.

Ended up filing BK in 2004. I know it is a sad choice but I felt like I had no other. Score was 440.

Ok. So I paid my dues and started from near bottom at 540 late 2007. Obtained sub prime car loan and pushed forward.

In 2011 applied for CAP1 and was approved for secured card. Bummed but also glad to get a start. $200 limit for $49. Score was 590.

In Feb 2012 got the new car bug with just 6 payments left on sub prime loan. Bought a 2012 Chevy and then decided it was time for a card that did not require a deposit. Score was 635.

Applied to CAP1 again also in Feb 2012 and approved for rewards MC with $500 with step to $750. EO letter 2013 doubled limit to $1500.

Applied for Barclaycard Rewards MC Nov 2012, Denied even after recon.

Early Feb 2013 decided to apply for Shell DF5 card, got review notice. Did not pursue any further. Card with $500 CL arrived 1st week March. Was surprised as I figured I was denied.

Late Feb 2013 and I decided I was going to give Chase Freedom a try. Applied online, review notice. Called recon, went over reason for issues. Walked away approved for $1000.

Decided to try for Barclaycar recon again, approved for $3000.

Score is now 660 average.

Ok. a lot has happened in the past 6 weeks.

Today I received a pre selected offer from Merrick Bank for $1000 Visa.

My first instinct is to shred the acceptance number and start the restart the garden but looks liked mixed reviews here.

Have concerns with Chase or Barcay having a stroke about another new card.

Is my first instinct the best or should I reconsider?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Phizzle
New Contributor

Re: To garden or not to garden, that is the question.

I would say that if you were still sitting on the secured card alone, you should definitely go for it; however, you have added some nice cards to your portfolio recently, and I would recommend gardening them unless you have a need for more. Now you want to try and grow your limits to make it easier to obtain instant and high limit approvals in the future.

Three or four cards is plenty to build a strong profile if that's what you are going for. If you need, or just really really want a particular card, now would be the time to app so the accounts and inquiries age together.
Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

First let me say I'm glad you are wellSmiley Happy

I would tell you the garden is probably the best place for you at the moment. The pre-approvals will continue to come and with time spent in the garden bigger CLI's take care of the cards you have in your possession and watch the fruits of you labor increase. Best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Matt6995 wrote:

Damn near died in a car wreck in late 2003 that I spent months in the hospital for. I had insurance but still walked out with no employment and $160,000 in medical bills.

Ended up filing BK in 2004. I know it is a sad choice but I felt like I had no other. Score was 440.

Ok. So I paid my dues and started from near bottom at 540 late 2007. Obtained sub prime car loan and pushed forward.

In 2011 applied for CAP1 and was approved for secured card. Bummed but also glad to get a start. $200 limit for $49. Score was 590.

In Feb 2012 got the new car bug with just 6 payments left on sub prime loan. Bought a 2012 Chevy and then decided it was time for a card that did not require a deposit. Score was 635.

Applied to CAP1 again also in Feb 2012 and approved for rewards MC with $500 with step to $750. EO letter 2013 doubled limit to $1500.

Early Feb 2013 decided to apply for Shell DF5 card, got review notice. Did not pursue any further. Card with $500 CL arrived 1st week March. Was surprised as I figured I was denied.

Late Feb 2013 and I decided I was going to give Chase Freedom a try. Applied online, review notice. Called recon, went over reason for issues. Walked away approved for $1000.

My first instinct is to shred the acceptance number and start the restart the garden but looks liked mixed reviews here.

Thanks.

First...CONGRATS on your survival...physical as well as financial.  Looks like you've recuperated well financially from where you were.  Hope your physical recuperation is/was as successful. 

Second...TRUST YOUR INSTINCT!  It's telling you something for a reason.  Gut feelings are very powerful forces and you're having doubts about which way to go, should be sending up some signals to you.  Tread lightly and trust that what you do will be the most beneficial in the long run.

Message 5 of 7
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

Put in the shredder a few hours ago.

Knew the right thing to do and frankly figured I would get the responses I did.

Thanks for the well wishes. Have recovered 95%. Have several pins in right foot and artificial hip.

Limp a little from time to time and hurt like heck when it rains but alive and pushing forward.

To the garden...

Message 6 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Matt6995 wrote:

Thanks.

This is the best advice you can take!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.