cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To guys with lots of cards... How do you keep track??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To guys with lots of cards... How do you keep track??

I use Mint as well. Maybe if you set all bill day the same for all cards, it could be a little easier to track all the info. Hope it helps.

Message 31 of 46
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Taoron wrote:

@ddemari wrote:
I have 40 cc's, several banking accounts, wealth management account, in addition to rent, phone utilities etc. I have each card/ bill payment typed up billeted and headed each page by a calendar week. So every week I know what's up. I also write down each user name and keep track of them all in a word doc and notebook. It's definitely work but second nature after a while lol.

Can you be denied credit for having too many credit cards?

Not necessarily for having too many credit cards, but moreso for overall credit exposure compared to income. Where that ceiling is, well, it varies from person to person and file to file. There are a few members on this site who have hundreds of cards and counting, but their income is well into six figures as well.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 32 of 46
bobbay
Established Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
I have 40 cc's, several banking accounts, wealth management account, in addition to rent, phone utilities etc. I have each card/ bill payment typed up billeted and headed each page by a calendar week. So every week I know what's up. I also write down each user name and keep track of them all in a word doc and notebook. It's definitely work but second nature after a while lol.

1+^  Same here but I use paper system so nobody hacks my word or excel doc.  My list is by due date and another by statement cut order.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 33 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

1+^  Same here but I use paper system so nobody hacks my word or excel doc.  My list is by due date and another by statement cut order.

Not sure what this really achieves.   If someone is able to hack an excel or word doc on your PC, they can probably install keystroke recorders and get your passwords anyway.

Message 34 of 46
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

It's interesting how many people are using spreadsheets and Word documents to track passwords.

I highly, highly recommend 1Password for tracking all of your passwords (and securely storing credit card details for online shopping). You only need to remember one (ideally very strong - read up on diceware passwords) password to unlock the app, then all the rest can be super-strong randomly-generated passwords the app creates for you, unique to each site.

They have apps for your phone as well. Easily one of the best software investments I ever made. It has both saved me time and made all of my accounts more secure.

The only credit accounts I have are the ones you see in my signature, but all total I have over 800 online account logins all tracked by my password manager. No way would I ever bother to do that manually...I'd start using the same password for multiple sites, and then the black hats only have to hack one to have access to all of them.

If you don't like 1Password, try LastPass or KeePass.

Password managers - even your grandmother should have one.

This. I have 1password on my computer, phone, and tablet. It's awesome! 

To the OP. It's completely up to the person. I have 6 cards and hate it while others have 25+ all the way up to 95 IIRC and they seem to do just fine!

Personal:

Business:

Message 35 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting to read how the cc's are managed. I think I have 10? now, all but one added in the past 6 weeks. I don't want anymore. I have always had just one or two. I check accts online several times a week, keep it all logged into a notebook because I didn't trust the apps. but may change my mind. All the cards won't be used every month, only a few will. 

In my very first post here I told about the guy in the Guiness Book of World Records for having the most CC's:

over 1000 cards

1.7 mil in credit lines

and..perfect credit

Now THAT would require some outside help

Message 36 of 46
Kidcat
Established Contributor

I use YNAB so I always know what the balance is on each card.  I just compare YNAB balance to online balance for card.  Also I have bookmarks for each card, ordered by due date.  I just go down the list and pay.

Even with that, I've been sporadically closing lower limit cards over time.  I have 16 cards, and I would like to narrow it to around 9 or 10 max.  The store cards are not in regular circulation, but the ones I have are truly specialty, so I like keeping them as they do offer some special benefits.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 37 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Question to people that have lots of open credit cards, I mean like more than 10 accounts. How do you guys keep track of all of them. It seems like a lot of hassle, usernames, passwords, your checking/saving online banking, not being able to track statements, it seems too complicated with me, lots of pins..... Is this you guys hobby? Do you guys simply open tons of accounts to improve credit score and never use them?

I put everything on my credit cards that I can (mortgage is the big outlier).

I then have all of my due dates scheduled around the 9th of the month with the exception of two cards which are purposely left out for when I need to FICO strategize my revolving balances FTW.

For the most part these days I just go right down the list of mobile apps and make payments on the 1st or so; the few accounts I don't have with that (JCB, Wally, FIA) I do manually.  Ain't no big thing.

        
Message 38 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my payment due dates are set to either the same day of the month, or within a few days of each other, and I pay them all at the same time every month, then review the accounts online a few days later to ensure that they payment went through properly. I like having the oversight vs. setting up some automated system for payment, and it gives me a chance to review everything at the same time each month as well.

Message 39 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have quite a bit too.  I keep all on autopay along with my mortgage, etc.  Just in case.  But I will micro manage them every Sunday to pay what I want on them besides the autopay.  Keep in a nice size draw in one of my armoires except the the ones I use all of the time.  And also rotate them with my hubby.  I give him a new one every month.  He charges small things on them and every one is happy.  I do forget about a few that I really don't use.  So I will most likely cancel them.  And I'm still waiting to app for CSP! Smiley Mad  This 5/24 is driving me nuts!  Got all of my new rewards finished up recently.  Once you start, you will get the swing of things.  At least it workds for me.  And my UT is always low.  I thought it would be a hassle but it's not.  And I do have a method.  Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.