cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To increase CC usage every month will cash advances look good or bad & do they help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To increase CC usage every month will cash advances look good or bad & do they help?

@IamB2

If I understand you correctly you don't need to spend this money, but you are willing to pay the cash advance fee just so you can show additional "usage" in hopes to get higher CLIs. Then you plan to use the cash you got from the cash advance and pay it off right away. Do I have this correct? No, that's incorrect. I would have to spend the money every month and I would simply choose to use cash from CC's instead of check writing or withdrawaling money from bank accounts to pay contractors for example, since neither of the other two options help increase one's credit scores or help a person attain higher CLI's. 

If so, well, that is called Manufactured Spending, (MS for short) and it is pretty much a No-No with any Credit Card issuer. There are countless stories that the issuers have closed cardholder accounts for this reason. Don't do it. It is a bad idea. CLI will happen with time, and if they don't as your profile ages, you will get better cards with higher credit limits and then you close the ones with lower limits. This would not be manufactured spending, I wouldn't spend the money just for the sake of spending the money if that makes sense. I would just pay a person in cash for services from a cash advance instead of paying them by check or by withdrawling cash from a bank. Make sense. 

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for your response, your's was the first one that actually understood what I am asking and gave good advice.

Message 11 of 24
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: To increase CC usage every month will cash advances look good or bad & do they help?

No guarantee that more spending equals more CLI. No proof. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I know you think I do not understand anything Smiley Sad but here is something else to consider :

Google cash advance and read a few articles (just 1 example with a few valid points) especially as to how lenders might look at cash advances

http://credit.about.com/od/avoidingdebt/qt/avoid-credit-card-cash-advance.htm

Message 13 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IamB2

If I understand you correctly you don't need to spend this money, but you are willing to pay the cash advance fee just so you can show additional "usage" in hopes to get higher CLIs. Then you plan to use the cash you got from the cash advance and pay it off right away. Do I have this correct? No, that's incorrect. I would have to spend the money every month and I would simply choose to use cash from CC's instead of check writing or withdrawaling money from bank accounts to pay contractors for example, since neither of the other two options help increase one's credit scores or help a person attain higher CLI's. 

If so, well, that is called Manufactured Spending, (MS for short) and it is pretty much a No-No with any Credit Card issuer. There are countless stories that the issuers have closed cardholder accounts for this reason. Don't do it. It is a bad idea. CLI will happen with time, and if they don't as your profile ages, you will get better cards with higher credit limits and then you close the ones with lower limits. This would not be manufactured spending, I wouldn't spend the money just for the sake of spending the money if that makes sense. I would just pay a person in cash for services from a cash advance instead of paying them by check or by withdrawling cash from a bank. Make sense. 

Thanks for your response, your's was the first one that actually understood what I am asking and gave good advice.

UM, you,re not listening.

Credit card companies look at cash advances as much, much more risky behavior, and are FAR less likely to give increases to those who use them.  Have spoke with several underwriters, that is just the way it is.

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 24
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IamB2

I see what you mean. So this would be money you have to spend anyway. Theoretically, it is possible to do that - get the cash from the CC, and utilize it and then pay the cc. And the cash advance fees, you can probably absorb. The problem though is that there is no guarantee that this will result in higher CLIs. As such, with no guarantees, you are paying the fees and yet may not receive anything in return. So 2-5% (depending on the card) as a fee, for a potential of getting nothing in return, $5000 cash advance per month would cost you an additional $100-$250/month in fees alone. I'd be OK with it if the credit card issuer said "max the card 3x per month and in 6 months we will tripple your credit line"  You'd have a "goal" and you can calculate your risk-to-reward (how much it would eventually cost you to tripple your limit)

Bottom line, I don't think it is a good idea and may backfirre. An article published in creditcards.com amongst other things states:

"The typical cash advance customer is a cash-crunched customer in need of a financial makeover." (http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/4-key-questions-cash-advances-1273.php)

By doing this month after month and at times more than once a month, then you may classify yourself as a typical cash advance customer.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 15 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IamB2

UM, you,re not listening.

Credit card companies look at cash advances as much, much more risky behavior, and are FAR less likely to give increases to those who use them.  Have spoke with several underwriters, that is just the way it is.

well....some CC customers might have to learn the hard way ? Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IamB2 See you actually understand the logic I was using (brothers from a different mother perhaps? Smiley Tongue), no one else so far is understanding the risk vs reward concept I was simply outlining and asking about.

"I'd be OK with it if the credit card issuer said "max the card 3x per month and in 6 months we will tripple your credit line"  You'd have a "goal" and you can calculate your risk-to-reward (how much it would eventually cost you to tripple your limit).." EXACTLY! This was my whole point and what my end goal would've been by doing utilizing this strategy.

That and the making business decisions for short term loss (ATM fees) vs long term gains (higher CLI) concept.

But from what I've now read and researched like I first thought cash advances to a CC company would make you look like you need the cash for whatever reason and are potentially a higher risk in CC companies eyes. So I won't try to do this strategy ever. 

Thanks so much for the 2cents and to others for posting articles.

CL

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this answer from another board, This is the kind of info I was looking for in regards to this subject.

Cash advances can't effectively bolster usage, even if PIF, in the way standard purchases do. In addition to the fee, there's no grace period for the (typically high rate) cash advance interest accrual, starting from the time of the transaction.

Cash advances maybe viewed by ccc as a strong indicator of card holder liquidity crisis: they are not considered as usage in the same way as standard purchases, not eligible for rewards, and much more likely to trigger AA.

Message 18 of 24
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

This is just my opinion but I believe CC companies dislike cash advances because they don't like when they actually have to hand real cash to a customer. Money in this country, at least from the perspective of CC companies and major banks, is mostly just numbers on a computer screen. Real physical cash, at least in the amount that would equate to all of the limits handed out by a single bank, doesn't actually exist. Sadly, there are people out there who believe that if everyone went into their bank at the same time on the same day and all attempted to withdraw 100 percent of their money, it would be there. Not even close. I believe this is kind of the same for CC companies, they don't actually have the physical cash to hand out to all of their customers, so they strongly dislike when those numbers on a computer screen that they can manipulate so easily become real physical cash in their customers hand.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got this answer from another board, This is the kind of info I was looking for in regards to this subject.

Cash advances can't effectively bolster usage, even if PIF, in the way standard purchases do. In addition to the fee, there's no grace period for the (typically high rate) cash advance interest accrual, starting from the time of the transaction.

Cash advances maybe viewed by ccc as a strong indicator of card holder liquidity crisis: they are not considered as usage in the same way as standard purchases, not eligible for rewards, and much more likely to trigger AA.

Several people told you this exact same thing only they told you in their own words and didn't copy and paste it for you like this response from another board appears to be. Why even post the thread if you've already gotten what you deem as a satisfactory answer from another board? You got this answer and a few more better and more personal answers imo. People who answered the question and then went even further and said why the feel that way. If you're looking for cookie cutter responses there's plenty of stuff on the web you can research. If you ask a question here you're likely to get the same good advise in a less formal tone. Other posters were nice about it. Personally I think common sense would answer this question. I think it would look ridiculous to a lender to be getting cash advances every week and then pay it off a week later. As the cookie cutter response you posted says it could (and probably would imo) be seen as having money trouble. I have PIN numbers for all my cards for emergencies but would only do it in an emergency. Sorry if that's not what you're looking to hear.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.