Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To keep BT or to Personal Loan it?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

To keep BT or to Personal Loan it?

This of course all started in my mind when I found out I couldn't BT more than $15k to Chase!!

Personal Loans seem to be available in the 10-20%+ area for 60 months or 12-18 months at 0% but most besides some credit unions and Slate are 3% to move...

Lets assume needing a full 60 months to pay off, at what ineterest rate on a personal loan am I now paying more than just continueing to move around?

I feel like that number is somewhere around 15%
The other thing is if it's devided up on 3 or 4 credit cards I feel like the lower monthly payments vs 1 large payment to personal loan will also effect the total outcome....

Am I looking at this correctly? maybe if I set up auto pay based on a 60 months pay off regardless of payment then it would come out the same and just keep transferring as I need and reset the payment based on the original 60 minus how many months I am into that do make sure I'm always paying enough... sometimes I feel like it would be worth paying higher interest rate just to have 1 fixed payment that i coudl set and not worry each month!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: To keep BT or to Personal Loan it?

OR see if I can consolidate the 2 navy cards over to the cash rewards that is at 9.65% and just put it all on that card! most of it already is.... hmmm

Message 2 of 15
maceto
Contributor

Why not add a citi card for BT (remainder of owed) or a credit union, a few will allow you to BT for 18-36 months for 5% or so
Message 3 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@maceto wrote:
Why not add a citi card for BT (remainder of owed) or a credit union, a few will allow you to BT for 18-36 months for 5% or so

you mean penfed for the 36 months? that would be amazing but they seem to be very big on "Pyramid" denying!

we have a citi but that would go into the pile with the others that are 3-4% to BT and only like 12-15 months.

Message 4 of 15
maceto
Contributor

You would need to keep opening a card or two a year.. Pyramiding.. https://www.rbfcu.org/NB/html/Loans/credit_cards.htm currently no transfer fee, APR is low and only 12 months. But you need to bite the bullet to some extent
Message 5 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

This of course all started in my mind when I found out I couldn't BT more than $15k to Chase!!

Personal Loans seem to be available in the 10-20%+ area for 60 months or 12-18 months at 0% but most besides some credit unions and Slate are 3% to move...

Lets assume needing a full 60 months to pay off, at what ineterest rate on a personal loan am I now paying more than just continueing to move around?

I feel like that number is somewhere around 15%
The other thing is if it's devided up on 3 or 4 credit cards I feel like the lower monthly payments vs 1 large payment to personal loan will also effect the total outcome....

Am I looking at this correctly? maybe if I set up auto pay based on a 60 months pay off regardless of payment then it would come out the same and just keep transferring as I need and reset the payment based on the original 60 minus how many months I am into that do make sure I'm always paying enough... sometimes I feel like it would be worth paying higher interest rate just to have 1 fixed payment that i coudl set and not worry each month!

Personal loans are typically installment rather than revolving, and the utilization is treated differently.

Message 6 of 15
trzarocks

Do you have a suitable car with equity that you can put up as collatoral?  Auto loans have lower APRs.  A local CU near me refi's at 5%.  They are marketing it as a way to pay down credit cards.  You can probably do much better than 5%.  But if your alternative is 3x that interest rate, the savings would allow you to pay off the loan much faster.  

Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Cars are leased
Message 8 of 15
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

Barclays Ring MC currently has 8% and no balance transfer fees.  In fact, one version offers a 1% statement credit for BTs in first 90(?) days.  You would be hard pressed to find a personal loan with that kind of rate.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 9 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1 of the cards to consolidate would be a USAir card so Barclay will not give my partner anymore... In fact they CLD practically after getting the card year and half or so ago
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.