Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To pay off or not to pay off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To pay off or not to pay off?

I have 3 cards, WAMU, Chase and CapitalOne. I now have the money to pay off the balance completely, however, I have heard that this actually can lower scores. My current balances are, WAMU-3,700-CL 12,500, Chase-2,200-CL- 10,500, CapitalOne is a no brainer as I neared my CL while on vacation, they raised my int from 9.99% to 30% within one billing cycle, I opted out and am done with them. So, leave a small balance of PIF?

TIA!

Elle
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: To pay off or not to pay off?

PIF, you will never loose points when going from having balance to having no balance.
you will see a pretty big jump i would bet.
the fact all your account are reporting balances is hurting you even before you factor in util over 9%
and interest! why would you want to pay interest if you had the option not to

Message Edited by Creditaddict on 09-03-2008 07:08 PM
Message 2 of 8
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

For max fico points, it's best to let *less* than half your accounts report a balance of less than 10%. Since you have three cards, let one report a very small balance. All zero balances shows that you have credit available - but letting something report demonstrates that you use your credit and are responsible with it.

Personal example - I have five open accounts. I just went from one account reporting a small balance to none and my score dropped about 10 points! Macy's should report in the next couple days so I expect to get those points right back! Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You get more points by showing small balances on a couple of cards.  I once paid all my cards to 0 balances and my score went down.Smiley Surprised
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

there is a big difference from letting a balance report on one card for util and best fico scoring and paying interest. poster has been carrying balances so any balance they still leave with incure finance charges.  I agree poster should use atleast 1 card a month and rotate and allow less than 9% to show on credit. but for the sake of this posting, PIF and stop paying interest.
Message 6 of 8
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
there is a big difference from letting a balance report on one card for util and best fico scoring and paying interest. poster has been carrying balances so any balance they still leave with incure finance charges.  I agree poster should use atleast 1 card a month and rotate and allow less than 9% to show on credit. but for the sake of this posting, PIF and stop paying interest.

+1
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does it matter if your score drops a tiny bit from not having one account reporting. It makes no sense to me to constantly have to be vigilant about letting one account report, unless you plan to apply for credit and want a maximum score.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.