Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To respond to Walmart CC or not

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To respond to Walmart CC or not

A few months ago I had an app frenzy and Walmart was one of the last. I was denied but low and behold today in the mail a pre-cert came in the mail. Now I am wondering if I should follow up on offer. The only problem is I was really only obtaining this card for my wife to use and the free fico for me. I really dont need it and I am in gardening mode. But this one has me wondering....so...would you pull the trig on it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: To respond to Walmart CC or not

Nope, not a chance. If you don't need it, then don't apply for it. Given you were recently denied for that card, it sounds like you really should be gardening.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 11
brian2220
Regular Contributor

i would but i would wait a few months before you apply it would be higher and you might get a wally discover

i also got a pre approved paper in the mail last summer and knew i wouldnt get it so i waited a few months and was approved for 1800 and now it sits at 2814 after 4 months

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't.  It sounds like you don't need the card, and the Walmart card is not really that useful anyway.  It does not have any rewards, even at Walmart, so you're still better off using a regular card with rewards.  The only benefit to it at all is the monthly credit score.  But is getting a monthly TU FICO score that important?  I don't think so.  If you really think that it is, let your accounts age for awhile before going for it.  As for me though, I doubt I'll ever bother with a Walmart card.

Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Nope, not a chance. If you don't need it, then don't apply for it. Given you were recently denied for that card, it sounds like you really should be gardening.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

The side benefits of the card are pretty good (naely the TUfico score) HOWEVER , if you were recently denied for the card, that should be an indicator that maybe you need to hold off a bit. Also one of the previous posters stated that if you dont NEED it dont apply for it. One of the most common pieces of advice from jsut about ever provider of credit information states "Only apply for credit when it is needed) You are grown, but so am I and I have suffered at time for not following the most basic of advice from known success tactics

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A few months ago I had an app frenzy and Walmart was one of the last. I was denied but low and behold today in the mail a pre-cert came in the mail. Now I am wondering if I should follow up on offer. The only problem is I was really only obtaining this card for my wife to use and the free fico for me. I really dont need it and I am in gardening mode. But this one has me wondering....so...would you pull the trig on it?

I would go for it if you have a use for it, your wife and the TU score is enough for me! I got mine for the score and to send to my mom for use.

It's been many years, but I applied and was declined for SAMS Club and about a month later got a pre-approval so went ahead and applied again and was given $1500 instantly! Not sure what had happened that I got declined so recently and then ended up with a pretty decent limit to start, I didn't even get that this time around with Walmart and they are basically the same.

Message 7 of 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

Ask yourself: Is this a case of WANT vs NEED?

If the answer is WANT, then just laugh at the offer as you place it into your shredder.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 11
tray
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't.  It sounds like you don't need the card, and the Walmart card is not really that useful anyway.  It does not have any rewards, even at Walmart, so you're still better off using a regular card with rewards.  The only benefit to it at all is the monthly credit score.  But is getting a monthly TU FICO score that important?  I don't think so.  If you really think that it is, let your accounts age for awhile before going for it.  As for me though, I doubt I'll ever bother with a Walmart card.

Just to say walmart does offer 0% financing over 6 months for certain amount of purchases I believe over $249.99 also just this holiday season walmart offered 0% financing on every purchase made in the store for a period of time, also walmart offers cash advance which counts as a regular purchase when you are in a situation and do not want to make the run to your bank/atm.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

I got something similar with acheveron card and was instant approval

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.