cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To those who applied for Amex with 50k PRG / 100k PLAT offer lately...

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

To those who applied for Amex with 50k PRG / 100k PLAT offer lately...

Just got off the phone with Amex CSR. 

Some background is here - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-PRG-annual-fee-waived/m-p/1824103 - shortly - $175 AF hit me in the first statement despite their offer of "$0AF for the first year, $175 after that".

Got some interesting insight from the CSR - apparently, the offer I used (50k MR points for $1000 spent in 3 months) is stated in their system as expired on Dec 31st -  she asked me how exactly I applied for the card (I told her, that it was online through creditcards.com).

Apparently this is the reason why AF hit me, because my card in their system is currently seen as "applied with no promotion offer" (at least from what I understood from CSR). She put me on hold and spoke to a supervisor for quite some time, then got back and told me that they would reverse the fee and they would also make sure that I really get 50k points. She also mentioned that I was not not the first Amex customer who had called them with this issue lately, so that they would now try to fix it upfront for all other cardholders who applied for this card recently and might have been affected by this glitch. 

Just thought it's worth sharing here - so if you applied for you Plat / PRG during the last promo (I think it was Jan 8 or around this date), it might make sense to watch closely what is in your statement, and if you believe that something is not as it should be, contact CS... 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
nickn86
Contributor

Re: To those who applied for Amex with 50k PRG / 100k PLAT offer lately...

Strange.  I applied for the PRG on January 7th through the same site, haven't been asked for an AF and confirmed the 50k bonus on my account via a secure message.  I haven't hit the spend requirement yet, so I'll watch this closely.  Also, after instant approval it showed the offer on the approval page--was this the same for you?

I'm glad you got it worked out though.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 2 of 4
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately I haven't made screenshots of approval screen (neither I did for the offer itself), but I positively remember, that the whole discussion between me and my wife about the benefits of PRG vs Platinum was around the idea of "paying $450 upfront for Platinum now vs paying $0 now for PRG". I doubt that I have misunderstood the offer at that point...

Anyway, Amex CSR was very nice - currently $175 fee is marked as "disputed" in my online banking, so hope it will be taken care of soon. If not, I'll follow up with them next week.

BTW, nickn86, have you already received your first statement?

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 3 of 4
nickn86
Contributor

Nope, Amex lists my statement closing date as Feb. 4th.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.