cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To transfer CL from Freedom to CSP? or not?

tag
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

To transfer CL from Freedom to CSP? or not?

Hey, so within the past week, I was approved for $15k CL with Chase Sapphire Preferred and a $9k CL with Chase Freedom. Yay Me!

My question is, as the Freedom is really only valuable up to $1500. I was thinking of transferring $5k of my Freedom onto my CSP making it a $20k limit. 

Does this make sense? Would you do it? Any con to this?

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
noobody
Established Contributor

Re: To transfer CL from Freedom to CSP? or not?

That's i would do. Can see any con

Also, if your freedom is VS, it will still be a VS even if you only have 4K CL left.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

Hey, so within the past week, I was approved for $15k CL with Chase Sapphire Preferred and a $9k CL with Chase Freedom. Yay Me!

My question is, as the Freedom is really only valuable up to $1500. I was thinking of transferring $5k of my Freedom onto my CSP making it a $20k limit. 

While no great down side, is there an upside?   Yes, there is no need for large CLs on Chase Freedom, but is $15K on the CSP not enough anyway, i.e. what would be better making it $20K?

There certainly could be a need if you put lots of travel spend, but just wondering if there really is!

Many people here have "big" CLs, and continue to ask for CLIs or move limits around.   I often think this is "just because I can" rather than any great need....

Message 3 of 18
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

I would be tempted to make both of them $12K lines, but that's just me. I would never put more than 4K on my CSP, because it would take me a couple of months to pay it off. 

Message 4 of 18
awp317
Frequent Contributor

As I recall dont accounts have to be 12 months old to take limits from them or move limits to them? 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 5 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I am not sure what rules are for that but i did move most of my credit limit from Freedom to CSR recent'y. I have freedom for 3 or 4 years i think and obviously CSR is brand new. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I would be tempted to make both of them $12K lines, but that's just me.

From what I've read and as was mentioned above, there's really no need for a Freedom to have a high CL as most use it for the 5% CB categories which are capped out at $1500/quarter or whatever.

To the person who asked about Chase making customers wait a year to transfer limits, I was told that limits can be transferred almost immediately upon opening 2 accounts with them; people have reported within 2-3 days having transferred limits between two new Chase products.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had both of mine for 2 years.  Recently transferred my Freedom line over to my CSP and closed the Freedom.  Might sound backwards with the AF on the CSP but I need at least one impressive card in my wallet.  Seems as though your strategy is to get a $20k CC.  They'll expect you to use it alot to keep that kind of credit line.

Message 8 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

Unless you need that high of a credit line on the CSP I don't see a point to this. 20 is just a number. Its all mental. In terms of downsides I guess there is a slight risk that in the future you may want to close the CSP if the AF is no longer worth it to you. Maybe in the future they will not let people PC to a non-AF card or transfer CL who knows. With the freedom card since it does not have an AF you likely will be keeping that long term. If you are using most your CSP credit line though then yes it makes sense to move some more money over to give yourself some breathing room. The counter argument to that would be maybe you want to show chase heavy use on the CSP to see if they give you an auto-CLI instead. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 18
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Great point Red! 

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.