cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To update or not to update public records???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To update or not to update public records???

I have two public records on my CR: A 2001 fed tax lien paid in full in 2005, and a 2002 judgement for Citibank also paid off several years ago. TU reports the lien as paid 12/2005, but EQ & EX do not. However, my TU score has dropped from 732 in Sept to 677 in Jan, while EQ is currently at 705. Not sure whats going on. Should I request EQ & EX update my public records, or could that actually hurt my score? I dont know whay my TU score has been dropping. Maybe due to a few extra charges on my cards? But I also upped my CLI by same amount by calling and asking for a raise. Everything is paid on time. Could paying off a car loan in Sept have hurt my score? Also wondering if I should apply for a BLUE amex card with these scores? I am hoping for a high CL and fixed low APR for bal transfers. Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To update or not to update public records???

If the car loan was your only installment loan it would hurt your scores some due to changes in credit mix. But credit mix is only 10% of your score.
Message 2 of 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

If you want low APR for BT with Amex app for the Clear.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I have two public records on my CR: A 2001 fed tax lien paid in full in 2005, and a 2002 judgement for Citibank also paid off several years ago. TU reports the lien as paid 12/2005, but EQ & EX do not. However, my TU score has dropped from 732 in Sept to 677 in Jan, while EQ is currently at 705. Not sure whats going on. Should I request EQ & EX update my public records, or could that actually hurt my score? I dont know whay my TU score has been dropping. Maybe due to a few extra charges on my cards? But I also upped my CLI by same amount by calling and asking for a raise. Everything is paid on time. Could paying off a car loan in Sept have hurt my score? Also wondering if I should apply for a BLUE amex card with these scores? I am hoping for a high CL and fixed low APR for bal transfers. Thanks!

Hi, dollardan, welcome to the forums!

AmEx is about way more than scores, and I don't think I'd apply as long as I had a public record still displaying on my reports. And if you read through recent posts (there's a hot thread going right now), you'll see that AmEx has been yanking the carpet out from under a lot of people with great histories with them.

I applied for a Bank of America card and got 0% BT for 15 months, $10K limit. They don't cap their 3% BT transfer fee, which is kind of ouchy, but that still works out to the equivalent of less than 3% APR over the life of the BT. Whatever you do, with any balance transfer, don't put even a single charge on that card until the BT is paid off, or that one charge will just sit there, gathering interest, while you gnaw away at the BT.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.