Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To wait, or not to wait...Navy Federal

tag
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

To wait, or not to wait...Navy Federal

Hi guys,

I'm new here but have been lurking for quite awhile. I recently (this week) opened a Navy Federal account through my brother, who is a contractor. So far I only have a Money Market Account, Savings, and Easy checking. My plan is to apply for the NAV Check & 1 or 2 of their cards. Currently my FICO's are Experian - 695 and TU - 683 with 65% - 75% utilization. Yesterday I paid off all but 11% of that and I wanted to wait to apply until they relect on my reports. How much of a difference would this make to wait?

A little background: Discharged Chapter 7 BK in Jan 09', restablished with several auto loans/leases, and the credit cards you see below, since then as well as obtaining an FHA mortgage.

I'm really anxious to apply because one my of goals is to have a CC with a large limit.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thx!

EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: To wait, or not to wait...Navy Federal

@Slim1Der wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm new here but have been lurking for quite awhile. I recently (this week) opened a Navy Federal account through my brother, who is a contractor. So far I only have a Money Market Account, Savings, and Easy checking. My plan is to apply for the NAV Check & 1 or 2 of their cards. Currently my FICO's are Experian - 695 and TU - 683 with 65% - 75% utilization. Yesterday I paid off all but 11% of that and I wanted to wait to apply until they relect on my reports. How much of a difference would this make to wait?

A little background: Discharged Chapter 7 BK in Jan 09', restablished with several auto loans/leases, and the credit cards you see below, since then as well as obtaining an FHA mortgage.

I'm really anxious to apply because one my of goals is to have a CC with a large limit.

Thx!

I'd go for it.  NFCU is one of the best creditors when it comes to giving out generous limits and CLIs.   They'll pull either TU or EQ.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Slim1Der wrote:

Hi guys,

Thx!

Id say since we are talking under $5k worth of debt to go ahead and apply for 1 credit card and navcheck.  Navy has really cut back on issueing multiple cards and if you apply for a 2nd you "may" be able to get them to take some of the newly approved CL from card 1 to open 2, but you won't get a 2nd card with it's own new additional credit line right after the first these days.

Message 3 of 7
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

Ok, I applied. It gave me the 3-5 business day review. I clicked on the status and it said it will have a decision in 1 business day. Should I recon the limit regardless of what they give me?

10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Slim1Der wrote:

Ok, I applied. It gave me the 3-5 business day review. I clicked on the status and it said it will have a decision in 1 business day. Should I recon the limit regardless of what they give me?

probably not, but lets see... some have had luck.

Message 5 of 7
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

Seems there is no need for a CLI at this time. I was approved:

Congratulations!  Based on your creditworthiness, you have been approved for a Signature cashRewards Visa credit card.  Your new credit line will be $22,000.00.  Your APR will be prime plus 11.4%.  You should receive your new card(s) in 7-10 normal mail delivery days.

10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 6 of 7
USF813
Frequent Contributor

That's great. After one year you can ask for an APR reduction. It won't require a hard pull to do it either.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.