Valued Contributor

Re: Today is my credit steps day!

2/12/16: Approved for both cards

3/9: First statement

4/7: CLI request denied

4/9: Second statement

4/20: CLI request approved!

Utilization on Platinum was 42% and on QS1 was 31%

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX wrote:

2/12/16: Approved for both cards

3/9: First statement

4/7: CLI request denied

4/9: Second statement

4/20: CLI request approved!

Utilization on Platinum was 42% and on QS1 was 31%hmm mm

Hmmmm..

My start date Feb 9.

I guess I should give it a try

Thanks for the info

Message 22 of 28
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

good luck!

Really doesn't hurt at all to try.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

same story for me as MrsCHX, just got a CLI of $1000!

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only ended up getting the basic $500 CLI to 1300. Ugh
Message 25 of 28
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

JUst got my 2 cards a few days ago. What should I put on them...very little/30% of credit limit or 90% of credit limit, and then pay off in full when 1st statement comes, or pay at least $50/month if I max them out? In other words, what is the BEST scenario to get my cards 3x their limit by the 3rd statement?

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TimeLBK wrote:

JUst got my 2 cards a few days ago. What should I put on them...very little/30% of credit limit or 90% of credit limit, and then pay off in full when 1st statement comes, or pay at least $50/month if I max them out? In other words, what is the BEST scenario to get my cards 3x their limit by the 3rd statement?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's!

Cap1 is weird. What works for some, doesn't for others. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. It's like the reviewers of these PCs and CLIs smoke rocks all day and figure out ways to mess with the MyFico community!

I will say that, 1) MOST people say heavy spend works the best, but it's not guaranteed to work. Obviously most CCCs like usage. That's how they get their money from most people. 2) Don't let a high utilization report on your statement, that's just good credit behavior. If your CL is $500, and you can have the means, make large purchases and pay it off multiple times every month. If you want something to report, make sure it's under 10% of your CL. I will note that I have noticed most people getting a CLI with high utilization at the time they hit the luv button. There might be a trick to that! Load up your card after your second statement, get it to about 50%, if you have the means to pay that off, and then hit the button. Every time I ask for a CLI on my wife's cards, utilization is always well under 10%, and no dice on the CLI.

This isn't AMEX, I highly doubt you'll get a 3x increase by your third statement. With Cap1, you just have to be patient. Like I said, there's really no rhyme or reason to what they do. 

Good luck! 

Message 27 of 28
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Only ended up getting the basic $500 CLI to 1300. Ugh

You put around $10k thru the card in the last months & only got a $500 increase?? YIKES! Smiley Sad

That does make me feel a bit better about their $400 cli offer on my card I've put around $6k thru in the last 5-6 months, but, YIKES!

I feel bad for you - I hope they change their minds. They seem really stingy lately~

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.