cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today marks 1 year with Sapphire (No CLI?)

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

Re: Today marks 1 year with Sapphire (No CLI?)

@xerostatus wrote:

Couple potential pitfalls for advice given so far, imo:

- "carrying" a balance I presume implies not paying in full by due date, thus accruing interest. Paying even a single cent in interest, even if guaranteed a CLI, is silly in my book. You would lose $$ just to avoid an HP?

- Applying for a new chase card solely with the intention of transferring limit is also a little backwards; if you're willing to take an HP (for the new account), why not just request a CLI outright? Why take the AAoA hit for new tradeline only to transfer the limit over? 

I never paid interest, I paid the card in full the next month before I ever accrued any. Yet they still gave me an increase. Of course its ymmv

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 11 of 13
YahComb
Established Contributor

back in august '12 i got my chase freedom and chase sapphire at 3K and 5K. i closed the sapphire in july '13 and consolidated it into the freedom to 7.5K. Now just last month at 25 months in, chase finally sent an email for the SP request and i got approved for the full amount to 11.7K

i rarely use my freedom outside of the restaurant quarter, and when i do it's a few purchases from the rewards mall here and there.  highest balance i ever had was like $331 back in first couple months when i was trying to get the signup bonus.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 12 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anarchy wrote:

Today marks 1 year with Sapphire  (No CLI?)

Regardless of creditor CLI's aren't guaranteed with time.  Your credit has to support a CLI.  That said, Chase isn't known for being CLI friendly in general though some have received auto CLI's (like my wife).  As indicated above, some have found that Chase is more generous with new limits than CLI's on existing cards.

You can certainly request a CLI with an HP.  Despite the flawed assumptions of causality posted above there is no need to carry a balance for a CLI.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.