Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

tag
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Re: Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

I carried a $2,000 balance on my BCE for a year and paid it off at the end of my 0% APR promo. They never took any adverse action, but they did deny me CLIs on my other accounts with them.

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 41 of 54
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What is MS exactly? Sorry I don't know abbreviations very well.

But they were worried I was using it as a cash advance. Which is not true at all. I was just doing what companies are supposed to do for book keeping purposes. 

Turns out they looked at my bank statement wrong. They only looked at the the average of my CHECKING account, not in addition to my SAVINGS. I talked to a supervisor about them cutting my limits and the second lady was a lot nicer than the first one. They saw the mistake and would give me a more appropriate limt. Well thanks AMEX. Thanks for putting a hard limit on my Green. I guess originally it was 3.6k of a hard limit, now they moved it to 8k. Okay great right! Turns out they didn't touch my Blue card!! Oh wait they did. My cash advance line is $200 instead of $100. It was 7k when my revolving limit was 18k.

I'm so done with AMEX. Now i'm trying to save my credit score the best I can. Citi was nice enough to give me a CLI no problem. definitely will be sticking with them.

MS is manufactured spending and its a taboo subject not open to advocation or discussion on myFico.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump=true

Message 42 of 54
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I think another point to mention is that it was the Blue card that caused the inquiry, not the Green card.  This is significant since using a Blue card will generally 'earn' cash back or miles (depending on the card), and they are known to be sticklers if they feel you're trying to game that. 

When the OP openly admitted he was running business expenses through the Blue card, it was basically like telling them to their face that you're doing MS.  While it's not the only reason they acted, I believe it's clearly a contributing factor, and not a minor one.

While using the Green card would have still earned MR points, I suspect it would not have been noticed by Amex as quickly as it was on the Blue card.

Not so sure of that.  Maybe because OP is also a student (with multiple loans yet to report).

when I applied for SimplyCash, I told them I had been using the BCE for business.  In fact, some charges from SimplyCash have been directed towards BCE.  This reason was an agent not knowing what they were talking about.  Probably a change in spending habits spooked them.  Dunno, but would follow up with the reason code doing business with current relationships.

Signature needs updating
Message 43 of 54
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

App for the Venture maybe? They've been handing out nice limits with it and I would guess with your profile you'd get 10-15k to start. Transfer a good chunk of the AMEX over to the venture which will be 0% apr for 9 months and your util will look much better. Good luck.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 44 of 54
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Jeff532003 wrote:
App for the Venture maybe? They've been handing out nice limits with it and I would guess with your profile you'd get 10-15k to start. Transfer a good chunk of the AMEX over to the venture which will be 0% apr for 9 months and your util will look much better. Good luck.

If doing that, request balancee transfer check to pay from bank.  Amex wants REAL payment, they don't like balance transfers (though their US Reps will claim otherwise).

Signature needs updating
Message 45 of 54
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, very interesting.  Please keep us posted.  Sounds like they want us to frame it and hang it on the wall! Smiley LOL  I didn't use mine this month at all.  Used a few others and they just keep sending me emails to use "more".  Never problems like this with any of the others.  Chase, Barclay, Citi, Cap One, etc.  All are fantastic.

And this is exactly why diversification is so crucial! I'll never give one company that much control over my credit! I will always make sure I'm diversified across SEVERAL lenders.

I refuse to revolve a balance with Amex. I use them has a charge card period.

Me too!  Never have and never will.  Smiley Wink

I've been carrying a balance on my Delta card due to the 7% APR that's been in effect since last November, Was up to nearly $2,000 at November, Charged small amounts, paid $300 each month on autopayment, so it was gliding down to $500-$600, then put a new $2,500 charge through it, and requested the CLI increase from $9k to $12k at the same time.  No issues.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 46 of 54
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Jeff532003 wrote:

Why is the suggestion always "just app for a new card, they're handing out big limits?"

First of all the Venture is a triple pull so IMO, it's not something you app for unless you actually want it. If OP wants to find a 0% card, sure, go for it but they should find one they actually want (maybe the Venture will work for them but who knows).

Also, the overall utilization is going to be the same. The only thing it will help is the util from Amex's POV.

Message 47 of 54
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Jeff532003 wrote:

Why is the suggestion always "just app for a new card, they're handing out big limits?"

First of all the Venture is a triple pull so IMO, it's not something you app for unless you actually want it. If OP wants to find a 0% card, sure, go for it but they should find one they actually want (maybe the Venture will work for them but who knows).

Also, the overall utilization is going to be the same. The only thing it will help is the util from Amex's POV.

Also, I think people are getting the Venture and the Venture One confused. The Venture One has a 0% promo, the regular Venture does not. The regular Venture is the one that hands out the bigger limits ($5k min) though as it's a Visa sig. The Venture One gives a $3k minimum.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 48 of 54
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Jeff532003 wrote:

Also, I think people are getting the Venture and the Venture One confused. The Venture One has a 0% promo, the regular Venture does not. The regular Venture is the one that hands out the bigger limits ($5k min) though as it's a Visa sig. The Venture One gives a $3k minimum.

Was wondering the same thing myself.

Signature needs updating
Message 49 of 54
sjt
Senior Contributor

Did you read past that post at all?  He/she had their limits slashed so they're not 'fine'

My bad. Sorry. I just reponded to the OP first post without reading the rest of the thread.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.