Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tons of Synchrony Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tons of Synchrony Cards

I have a MyFICO subscription that gets all 3.  I'm also wanting to buy a car and those two (plus the Credit One I'll be cancelling) gets in the way of that. WMT=$400, Amazon=$600, C1=$400.  That's $1400 freed up for insurance, gas and car payment (plus the student loan that's coming out of deferment soon).  Chase and CC are my two highest tradelines, Credit One is my oldest but it's crap.  WalMart and Amazon are at toy limits at this point, and I'll be shooting for more 'prime' cards in the future.  It's not out of the question that I'll get either or both again, but not at this point.  

The whole point of having those two was to help establish credit for a prime card, I have Chase Freedom, so mission accomplished. Just a lot quicker than I thought. 

Message 21 of 53
score_building
Senior Contributor

Wha? No compelling reason to support closure mentioned. Oh well.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 22 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Oh Well"

My thoughts exactly. 

Message 23 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone is asking if I'll ever get prime cards; Won't I be able to qualify for prime cards in about a year after all of these Synch. cards age to a year with good payment history?

Message 24 of 53
msbia
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone is asking if I'll ever get prime cards; Won't I be able to qualify for prime cards in about a year after all of these Synch. cards age to a year with good payment history?

Yes as long as you garden what you have and no new apps. You have a good start with the Discover card and the Journeys can be PC to QS after a while, I believe. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 25 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely PC the Journey into a QS.

This is one of the few cards I advocate a PC to vs a cold app because the signup bonus is so anemic.
Message 26 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Capital One 2 days ago and they actually upgraded one of my Journey's to QS even though it's only about a month old. I was completely surprised.

Message 27 of 53
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the process of PIFing and cancelling Walmart and Amazon.  The only real reward is the FICO TU 08 score on Walmart, but walking into a Walmart gives me a rash. 

Amazon I was mulling over keeping, but I can put purchases on Chase and get 1%, or 5% in the Quarterly category when it's up. 

The one I'm keeping is Care Credit.  I may try for Lowe's sometime in the future if I'm in a house by that point. 

The Walmart card, after time, may get you an upgrade to the Walmart MC. Sync cards can grow quickly, and there's credit Solutions that you can call and requeest a much higher credit line in a very quick time.

Even with the Freedom, Discover, or other cards, sometimes the promotional financing is nice to have the Private Label Credit Card (PLCC). I keep my Amazon PLCC even though I have the Chase Amazon Visa also, because sometimes the financing makes it worthwhile.

I haven't had a reason to apply for CareCredit...  but there is not a lot of harm from keeping ay Sync account once it's been opened. 

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 28 of 53
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a MyFICO subscription that gets all 3.  I'm also wanting to buy a car and those two (plus the Credit One I'll be cancelling) gets in the way of that. WMT=$400, Amazon=$600, C1=$400.  That's $1400 freed up for insurance, gas and car payment (plus the student loan that's coming out of deferment soon).  Chase and CC are my two highest tradelines, Credit One is my oldest but it's crap.  WalMart and Amazon are at toy limits at this point, and I'll be shooting for more 'prime' cards in the future.  It's not out of the question that I'll get either or both again, but not at this point.  

The whole point of having those two was to help establish credit for a prime card, I have Chase Freedom, so mission accomplished. Just a lot quicker than I thought. 

I got turned down for the Walmart card several times, only to start out with a $500 Walmart Discover when they finally approved me.

My Amazon card started out down around $400, but right now it's at $7k and I've held off on requesting CLIs because I'm diversifying the credit I apply for with Sync.

I don't consider my store cards as keeping me from what I want, but just a tool that could make my cash flow a little smoother.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 29 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I called Capital One 2 days ago and they actually upgraded one of my Journey's to QS even though it's only about a month old. I was completely surprised.

Awesome.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.