New Visitor
lisaoz

Too Many Credit Cards?

I have 26 credit cards, all open and paid off over the years, but are still on my fico report. Should I close all of the accounts that i will never use again? Will this help my credit? Please any comments will help. I have no clue what to do!  Many thanks!
Frequent Contributor
CreditCard101

Re: Too Many Credit Cards?

omy god, 26 credit cards...
Valued Contributor
wmarat

Closing of CC won't improve or worsen your score.

If you have no balances and your revolving utilization is zero, your score won't change d/t account closing. If you are not closing your oldest account(s), your AAoA should not suffer much therefore you should not see many FICO points lost, when closed accounts come off your report (in 10 years).

There is very hard to manage 30 cards. If you have more than 1 card from the same lender, try to combine them.

lisaoz wrote:
I have 26 credit cards, all open and paid off over the years, but are still on my fico report. Should I close all of the accounts that i will never use again? Will this help my credit? Please any comments will help. I have no clue what to do!  Many thanks!

IN VINO VERITAS.
Established Contributor
cartercorp

lisaoz wrote:

26 cc is a ton of work to keep open and active.If you have practical use for them keep them open.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

New Visitor
lisaoz

most of them are cc's that i have opened to get a deal when i purchase something from a store. should i close all of the cc's that i will never use again? none of them have any balances... thanks!!!
Established Contributor
cartercorp

lisaoz wrote:
most of them are cc's that i have opened to get a deal when i purchase something from a store. should i close all of the cc's that i will never use again? none of them have any balances... thanks!!!

If you can manager all 26 of them, Meaning keep them alive why would you want to close them.Unless you truly know you will never use them.
Senior Contributor
smallfry

lisaoz wrote:

I closed those types once they were paid off. Furniture TV's that kind of thing. So long as you don't kill your AAofA you can go ahead and close them.

New Visitor
lisaoz

perfect! thanks! I am applying for student loans for grad school soon and am trying to get everything sorted out!!!
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

It won't help your scores to close them.

It won't hurt your scores, at least initially. When they fall off, your average age of accounts (AAoA) might suffer. Close the "younger" (opened more recently) cards first. Just don't close your oldest (or oldest three) cards. Let them carry your length of history.

If it helps your sanity, it's certainly worth it.

Good luck with your grad school apps!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}