Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Much New Credit?

tag
CreditUp26
New Contributor

Too Much New Credit?

I was in the garden for about 8 months and just did an app spree. Not sure if it will hurt me, especially with my prime cards. Got the Discover IT and Citi Prestige in March. Also, inquiries for CSP CL increase (approved - should have asked for more) and Chase Ink (approved but doesn't show on credit). Waiting to hear back on PLOC and PL from a CU. Total approximately 3 new inquiries on each bureau. 

Profile: have Chase Freedom (5,000), CSP (10,500), Citi Prestige (11,000), Discover IT (5,500), Barclay Arrival (9,500) which are prime and I am afraid will be effected by new accounts. In total ~ 20 cards but many Synchrony, Macys, Capital One, etc.

Thick file, 70k in revolving overall - will jump to 100k if PLOC is approved. Personal loan would add another $25k in debt. No baddies but a BK in '08. AAoA around 2.5 years. Oldest card ~ 10 years. 40 student loan accounts recently consolidated into 3 all deferred. Utilization between 7% - 20% depending on report, Barclays close to limit. Balances steadily decreasing the last few months, sitting around $14k now. Tons of inquiries prior to spree, most over a year old now. 

Should I be concerned? I think the new Discover and Citi alone would be fine but am worried about the PLOC and personal loan which equate to about 50k total (though the PLOC is a revolving for overdraft protection so no balance). 

Scores 690 - 715 depending who you ask. Fico tends to be around 700. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Too Much New Credit?

I would be concerned. It is impossible to predict specific instances of AA, but yeah, this one is a profile leaning toward AA.

A balance at Barclay, combined with a lot of new cards and CLI, may result in Barclay lowering your limits once these all report.

Now, I've been through many CLD back in the day, and to me it's no big deal. It really isn't a big deal, but posters here often put it into a life-threatening class of issue, which it is not.

At this point, congratulations on all the good new credit. Barclay, in my book, is not worth worrying about so just pay them down as you planned to, use the new cards for their rewards, and hope for the best. Like I said, AA is not predictable. Just don't be too surprised if Barclay does a CLD, and don't take it personallly if they do Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 8
CreditUp26
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. Would you just be concerned about Barclays? Because honestly I don't care about them. Or would you be concerned about Chase and the new Citi/Discover? That's what I'm concerned about. Citi is my highest limit at 11k and I don't want them to see all this new credit and get scared. 

Barclays stuck with me when I was new to credit and mistakenly opened 5 new comenity cards at once. They did lower me from 11k to 9k when all my cards were maxed. But I don't care about them if I lose a little CL.

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Citi and Chase know what your profile is, the Barclays balance was sitting there when you apped, right? There's no real balance on Citi or Chase, so they have no reason to see a change in your profile.

Barclays, on the other hand, thought they were your favorite. Now you go out and get Citi and Chase cards?!?!?! Don't you love Barclay anymore??? This is like a dating relationship where one person you are dating has issues. Barclays has issues. Barclays very jealous. Be very afraid Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
CreditUp26
New Contributor

Just got word the PLOC and PL were approved for DTI issues because student loans are being calcuated in even though they are in deferrment. Guess there is less to worry about.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebuilderCredit wrote:

Just got word the PLOC and PL were approved for DTI issues because student loans are being calcuated in even though they are in deferrment. Guess there is less to worry about.

Not sure what you mean by "approved for DTI issues" DTI issues is usually used in conjunction with a decline.....

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@RebuilderCredit wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "approved for DTI issues" DTI issues is usually used in conjunction with a decline.....

Probably left out a word ("but") as I so often do on these forums... without my numerous edits afterwards (can assure everyone, I have the most self-edits of any poster in agggregate: I once did the math as a moderator haha).

Anyway OP, don't borrow trouble.  AA isn't really a big deal and gets blown absurdly out of proportion on these forums.  If it happens, deal with it otherwise just go on with life.

        
Message 7 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RebuilderCredit wrote:

Probably left out a word ("but") as I so often do on these forums... without my numerous edits afterwards (can assure everyone, I have the most self-edits of any poster in agggregate: I once did the math as a moderator haha).

Anyway OP, don't borrow trouble.  AA isn't really a big deal and gets blown absurdly out of proportion on these forums.  If it happens, deal with it otherwise just go on with life.

100% agreed here. There's no point in worrying about things you can't do anything about, and there's no point in speculating about whether you will or won't recieve AA. If you actually do, deal with it then, but life goes on anyway -- worst case scenario, card gets CLD/closed and you move on, hopefully learning something in the process. Not the end of the world.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.